birding-aus

RFI malaria in Argentina

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: RFI malaria in Argentina
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 15:14:29 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Wim,

In my 2 visits to Argentina (totalling about 4 months) I have never had any
problems with malaria, nor did I meet people who had. Having said that, the
areas that you're visiting are included in those areas that contain warnings.
But my understanding is that those areas contain a low to very low risk of
malaria.

There is some possibility of encountering dengue fever, so my advice would be
simply take the 'standard' precautions agaianst getting by bitten mossies in
the
first place. I contracted dengue whislt in coastal Ecuador and whilst it was a
very mild case I certainly wouldn't recommend it! On my recent trip I wore
lightweight, "treated" clothing and had no problems.

Esteros del Ibera is a fantastic place - you will love it. I photographed
Yellow-breasted Crake there which was a great thrill - the swamps are full of
life - and not just birds by any stretch. It is also a great spot to look for
Strange-tailed Tyrant, Lesser Grassfinch and Black and White Monjita (get
someone to drive a ute with you on the back to scan the grasslands - we saw all
3 eventually, though it took 2 runs to find the Tyrant).

In Jujuy I went to Calilegua NP and found the birding to be pretty good (dire
weather though!) from the roadsides. Go to the top of the mountain for
Slender-tailed Woodstar and I recall seeing Red-faced Guan and Giant Antshrike
on the lower slopes in the vicinity of the ranger station.

Buen suerte!

Mick