birding-aus

NE NSW and SE Qld

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: NE NSW and SE Qld
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 21:38:09 +1000

Have just completed a trip up the Pacific Highway to Coffs Harbour/Woolgoolga, Tweed Heads and then Bundaberg, catching up with friends and catching a few birds on the way. Bird highlights were

Yuraygir National Park, near Wilson's Point - hundreds of honeyeaters in the flowering banksias, and a Lewin's Rail in a small patch of water over the track.

Tirania Creek, Nightcap National Park - about 11am - male Albert's Lyrebird about 3m from me in sunlight - super view and then disturbed by two chattering young men who came bounding up the track. Also Pale Yellow Robin, Brush Cuckoo and Russet-tailed Thrush. Note the Big Scrub Loop at Nightcap is presently closed to vehicles - Logrunners at the entry.

Rocky Creek Dam, Murwillumbah - excellent boardwalk around the back of the dam wall, with Little Shrike-thrush, more Logrunners, Wonga, Brown and White-headed Pigeons and Figbirds feeding on figs.

Byron Bay Lighthouse Palm Valley - Regent Bowerbird

Bundaberg, Qld - at Trevor and Annie Quested's house - a pair of Bush Stone-curlews in their garden.
And then birding with Trevor - we totalled 124 species in two days.

Inskip Point, Qld - 3 Black-breasted Button-quail - a female at 3 in the afternoon and a juvenile and male 7am the following morning just as the rain started, and it didn't stop for the next 18 hours. It was so gloomy in the camping area I could hear Rose-crowned Fruitdoves over my tent early morning but no hope of a sighting.

And then abandoned all hope of further birding and drove home in the rain.