birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 01:31:53 +1000
Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 8 Aug 2010.

Sun 8 Aug       Swift Parrot Pontings Lane, Bailieston.
8 Swift Parrots in a flowering Yellow Gum patch.
Richard & Margaret Alcorn, Gary and Lisa Deayton

        Swift Parrot Boweya Forest
A small flock seen near Wangaratta Rd.
Michael Ramsey

        Rufous Songlark, Pallid Cuckoo Pyramid Hill area
Spring migrants starting to trickle into the area, conditions are
excellent following back to average (or better) rainfall this year.
Smaller creeks in the area just starting to flow again.
simon starr

Sat 7 Aug       Swift Parrot Greater Bendigo National Park (Kamarooka)
Appox 50 Swift Parrots observed in Kamarooka Forest at 8:30 am. Birds
were located in the Mulga Dam area and were feeding in box and mallee
trees.
David Kleinert

        Bassian Thrush, Cuckoos Warby Range State Park (North)
Unexpected sighting of a Bassian Thrush, my first for the Warby Ranges.
It was in a wettish Silver Wattle gully by Adams Rd. A winter visitor
here from hills futher south. Also a few Fan-tailed Cuckoo and
Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoos calling widely about the park. Also calling
was a Shining Bronze-Cuckoo at Black Springs. Very early record for this
species.
Michael Ramsey

        Australasian Bittern, Crested Shrike-tit, Brolga Western
Treatment Plant, Werribee
Finally, my first bittern! Seen from coast road not too far from the
boat ramp (southeast of Pond 24). Thanks to the friendly birder in the
white toyota (George?) for pointing me in the right direction. Crested
Shrike-tit at Point Wilson Rd. was a rather unexpected sighting at
Werribee. Two Brolgas seen in flight from the Western Lagoon gate.
Dirk Tomsa

        Australasian Bittern Western Treatment Plant , Werribee
One bird flushed from almost under my nearside front wheel. Location was
just inside Gate 4 entrance, on coast road. I initially thought it was
'just' a Brown Falcon or Swamp Harrier but was pleasantly surprised. A
sub-standard shot attached.
George Pergaminelis

        Brolga Western Lagoon, Western Treatment Plant Werribee
Many thanks to the young man who tipped us off to the possibility when
we met near Lake Borrie, Melbourne Water earlier in the day. He had
sighted the brolgas in flight.
Jim Spinks

        Australiasian Gannet Port Phillip Bay offshore from Point Cooke
Approximately seventy Gannets observed circling and diving, presumably
on a school of bait fish. Observed from the tower at Cheetham Wetlands,
whilst on a Birds Australia outing.
Peter Gibbons, Ash Herrod, et al.

        Collared Sparrowhawk Newport Lakes Park
Single bird seen roosting/perching in dense Sheoaks on the western side
of the lakes. Alerted to its presence by several agitated New Holland
Honeyeaters.
Paul Randall (wingsonwire.com)

Thu 5 Aug       Scarlet Honeyeater Blackburn South
Three males (one in full plumage, two at different partial stages) seen.
At least two brown birds also present in this small party, first
observed by George Pergaminelis nearly three weeks ago. They have
remained in the same spot. SMS me on 0451 554 580 for more details.
Trevor Kerr

        Caspian Tern Lake Charm
Nine Caspian Terns were roosting with 20 Silver Gulls beside a fenced
off Lake along the Murray Valley Hwy west of Lake Charm. I could not get
any closer as the birds were behind locked gates, barbed wire fence and
entry prohibited sign.
Andrew McCutcheon

Wed 4 Aug       Brown Falcon Webb Dock, Port Melbourne
7.33 am. 4/8/2010 sitting on power line, north side of western end of
Williamstown Rd. then took off, heading north-east (1).
Peter Booth

Tue 3 Aug       Laughing Kookaburra Hopetoun Gardens, Elsternwick
Two Laughing Kookaburras seen 10-11 am. Appeared unwelcome to visiting
seven Pied Currawong and a brace of local magpies, butcherbirds and red
wattlebirds, which harassed Laughing Kookaburras repeatedly.
Debbie Lustig

        Little Eagle You Yangs Regional Park
flying over Great Circle Drive near junction with Turntable Drive
(east). A single Little Eagle also seen in this area on 1/8, flying,
circling and stooping (1).
Janine Duffy

        Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoo Golden Square (near Bendigo)
7 Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoos flying south over Calder Highway at
Golden Square - 8:50am.
David Hewett

Mon 2 Aug       Powerful Owl Wright Forest,Cockatoo,Dandenongs
A female heard calling at Dusk .
Graham Beal

Sun 1 Aug       Barn Owl Sandy Cove Wetland, Port Fairy
Bird resting amongst club rush on edge of saltmarsh.
Lisette Mill

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by Birds Australia - Victoria
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/the-organisation/victoria.html>  and
co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds <http://www.eremaea.com> .