birding-aus

Lovers Jump Creek, North Turramurra, northern Sydney 4 Aug 2010

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Lovers Jump Creek, North Turramurra, northern Sydney 4 Aug 2010
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 18:05:44 +1000
Hi all
I took advantage of a fine morning and having no jobs around the house to have a walk along a track near my house, which I have done a few times before. I started at McRae Place and followed the track through to where it is below Golden Jubilee Oval in Wahroonga, and the walked back the same way. It was a bit soggy in places, but the birds were quite active and vocal. Highlight was 2 female Glossy Black Cockatoos seen feeding in casuarinas near the Clissold Road junction - there was possibly a third bird (could have been the male?) but it wasn't seen. Certainly there were calls coming from another tree further back than I could see. I'd noticed that the track has plenty of casuarinas along its length on prior visits, so I reckoned it wasn't going to be too many visits before I hooked up with some. A Grey Goshawk was seen several times over the valley when I was level with Golden Jubilee Oval, really putting the wind up the Cockatoos, although a Magpie came up and moved it on both times. Amongst 44 species identified, I also saw an Olive Backed Oriole, 5 or 6 Yellow Tailed Black Cockatoos feasting on an Old Man Banksia, plenty of Silvereyes (Tasmanian birds with very brown sides?), several groups of Variegated Wrens, a Wonga Pigeon, 2 fine male Rose Robins, a close encounter (less than a metre) with a very vocal Spotted Pardalote, a Large Billed Scrubwren and heard 2 separate Lyrebirds singing in the valley. One of the Wonga Pigeons I heard must have done a 10 minute uninterrupted "whoop-whoop-whoop" sequence. Not many honeyeaters - a couple of Eastern Spinebills, a single Scarlet and Wattlebirds. There was no sign of Powerful Owls in the 2 sites where I have seen them on this track before, as I suspect they'll be at their breeding site. As both the roosts I know of are cunningly placed directly over a stream, there was no way of checking if there was any sign of recent visits as any whitewash would have been washed away.
Cheers
Tom Wilson