birding-aus

ISO setting

To: 'David Stowe' <>, Greg Little <>
Subject: ISO setting
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 12:51:15 +1000
I agree with David's comment about distance. If you're zooming in on an image
to see a bird that's tiny because it was a fair way off, then you're enlarging
the grain too. Shots like that can be improved enormously by viewing them at a
smaller size on the screen. The detail isn't there to be seen, so why zoom in
to reveal the defects?

When you're close enough to get the bird full frame you can get away with a
much higher ISO setting. I often use 1600 when I'm that close, if I need to
because of the light, but try to keep it much lower for long distance shots,
preferably ISO 100.

And what exposure mode are they using? If they've set it up so it's way
underexposed, it'll be grainier when they brighten it on the computer than if
it was exposed correctly.

I'd advise trying some test shots using various ISO settings, and compare the
results. And don't forget that the perfect shots you're comparing theirs with
might well be taken with a lens so big it would dwarf yours, and taken after
waiting for perfect light conditions, etc.

If you have a look through some of the photos at http://www.aviceda.org/abid
you're likely to find many photos more comparable to yours, because they're
often taken in "real" conditions where the photographers took photos in the
half dark, of birds that appeared unexpectedly.

Peter Shute