birding-aus

Bird Alert - Clearly something is not working....

To: <>, <>
Subject: Bird Alert - Clearly something is not working....
From: Simon Mustoe <>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 07:54:26 +0000
Jenny,

Thanks, good question.

There's no really easy way to do this, that's the difficulty. However we look
at it, we need a human being at the end, scrutinising what's being sent and
making sure what gets circulated out widely to people is complete and accurate.
We can't really automate it.

So it's a matter of having one of us manning a phone line. On the front page of
Bird-O at the moment, there is a hotline number people can call and leave a
message. We get notified by email and can then act accordingly. This is ready
to use now in fact.

Although we could automate some of this, there is really no better way than to
do the hard yards. To make this kind of thing really really good, we have to be
on call all the time. As I mentioned in the last response, some of the benefit
of this is actually human engagement. I've had great fun so far, just talking
to people who've found good birds.

Hope that answers the question.

Regards,

Simon.