birding-aus

SW Qld / NE SA outback trip

Subject: SW Qld / NE SA outback trip
From: Peter Waanders <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:35:30 +0930
Hi all,
I've just returned from a family trip through SW Qld / NE SA outback,
Waikerie - Broken Hill - Bourke - Bowra Stn - Innamincka - Flinders Ranges -
Waikerie. 3200 km in 8 days with 3 kids. It went amazingly well but
understandably birding was reduced to the absolute necessities. Which I
found at Bowra, in Chestnut-breasted Quailthrush, Hall's Babbler and Spotted
Bowerbird. Other goodies included Black-breasted Buzzard, Brolga, Bourke's
Parrot and Plum-headed Finch at Bowra, Black Falcon and Inland Dotterel
between Noccundra and the SA border, and nesting Letter-winged Kite along
the Strzelecki track (a different nest yet again). I didn't look for
Grasswrens, as that is not a very child-friendly exercise, but instead spent
an enjoyable milestone birthday around Innamincka. Innamincka, having had
50mm of rain on Tues/Wed, was a quagmire full of stranded campers. The
Coopers Creek was flowing full force and was lined by tens of egrets, herons
and Night-herons. An amazing sight. People were pulling almost foot-long
yabbies out the creek by hand. I also saw a Bustard here. The red and white
sand dunes, and (often indundated) swales in between them, along the
northern Strz track had plenty of colourful wildflowers. Budgies were
buzzing around everywhere and Cockatiels were also quite plentiful. Pretty
amazing country out there at the moment.

cheers

Peter Waanders
Southern Birding Services
PO Box 420