birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 01:31:18 +1000
Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 11 Jul 2010.

Sun 11 Jul      Song Thrush Melbourne Zoo
First one I have seen in Royal Park or around Flemington for a couple of
years.
Chris Lester

        Little Eagle Banyule Flats, Heidelberg
Little Eagle seen about 2:15pm at Windmill, on a windy afternoon. Also,
Little Thornbill at top of dead wattle copse.
Michael Mules and David Mules

        Black-browed, Shy and Yellow-nosed Albatross Point Lonsdale
Large numbers of mollymawk albatross at Point Lonsdale, mostly
Black-browed, but also good numbers of Shy Albatross and at least 1
Yellow-nosed. At one point at least 30 albatros just offshore. Also a
few Fairy Prion and an unidentified lightish petrel sp offshore.
Conditions were extremely windy. Also seen 1 Humpback Whale, swimming
east about 1 mile offshore.
Tim Dolby

Sat 10 Jul      Albino Yellow-rumped Thornbill Wyperfeld National Park
This bird was observed on 4 separate days while we were camped at
Casuarina Campground, Pine Plains.
Keith & Judy Humphreys

Fri 9 Jul       Azure Kingfisher Alphington
Two Azure Kingfishers at the billabong near the Yarra River east of
Alphington Park. They spent quite awhile diving.
Lindy Damoulakis, Jane Dennithorne

        Albino Magpie Whittington Geelong
We spotted an albino Magpie with a group of other Magpies on our roof
today. We have never seen a white I assume they are rare.
Justine Leamer

        Swift Parrot Greater Bendigo National Park (Kamarooka section)
Two Swift Parrots seen late this afternoon near Mulga Dam in Kamarooka
Forest. Photo attached.
David Kleinert

        Powerful Owl Near intersection of Banks Rd and Bellarine Rail
Trail (Bellarine Peninsula)
Flew from ground into pine tree looked at me for about 5 seconds then
flew off. Time about 11 am.
Angus Hartshorn

Thu 8 Jul       White-winged Black Tern, Whiskered Tern Western
Treatment Plant, Werribee
Several small mixed flocks of non breeding birds seen en route to Borrow
Pits on ponds to the left of the road.
Paul Randall (wingsonwire.com)

        Australian Bittern Troups Creek (Hallam)
1 adult bird seen during Penboc's monthly survey of this Melbourne Water
artificially constructed wetland.
Neil Shelley

Wed 7 Jul       Sooty Oystercatcher Pearl Point via Bemm River
Directly below the lookout at Pearl Point, a pair of Sooty
Oystercatchers were observed quietly feeding along the high tide line
this afternoon.
Len and Jacquie Axen

        Olive-backed Oriole Tim Warren Tam-Boore
Olive-backed Oriole in flowering eucalypt (leucoxylon rosea, I think)
apparently eating nectar, although it may have been gleaning insects
from inside the flowers.
Sue Taylor

        Rose Robin Castlemaine
Thank you Greg! A single male rose robin seen just before midday in elm
trees close to the children's playground along the main track that
follows the creek from the hatchery. Lots of superb blue wrens,
silvereyes and crimson rosellas. Too cloudy for a good photograph.
Gary Oliver

Tue 6 Jul       Swift Parrot Kingower State Forest
Pigeon Rd /Grid Rd. 60 flew over around 4.30pm mainly in flocks of 5 -
7. 10 seen or heard around 12.30pm. (60). Also 3 in Kooyoora Park (Wehla
block).
Malcolm Cousland

        Rose Robin Castlemaine Botanical gardens
My field guides says usually takes food on the ground BUT I have seen
this bird now on 3 seperate days always in the mid to top canopy of the
Elm trees along the creek path between the old fish hatchery and the
kids playground.
Greg McKay

        Little Egret Epsom, Victoria (Bendigo suburb)
1 lone bird was seen feeding on the side of the main road, on the Huntly
side of Epsom
Kerryn Ryan

Mon 5 Jul       Swift Parrot Mulga Dam, northern Kamarooka
At least twenty to thirty birds feeding in flowering eucalypts. Photos
available.
Ian Miles

Sun 4 Jul       Grey-crowned Babbler Yacht club Lake eppalock
At least 8 Grey-crowned Babblers in the area behind the yacht club
Kimbolton pool.
Greg and Janice McKay

        Southern Skua, Buller's Albatross Off Portland (BA-Vic Group
trip)
Several Southern Skuas in Portland Harbour (at least one), around
Lawrence Rocks (at least three) and at the shelf break (at least one).
An unseasonal Buller's Albatross at the shelf break.
Chris Lester, Rob Farnes et al

        Striated Thornbill O'Donohues, Sherbrook Forest
Unusual sighting of a bird feeding on ground on side of picnic area.
Small group foraging through low branches, one hopped on the ground &
picked at something. Didn't see what it was feeding on. Also Brown
Thornbill seen feeding on lawn in same area. According to HANZAB this is
very unusual & I don't recall ever seeing one feed on the ground.
Kevin Bartram

        Glossy Ibis Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
1 in the pond North of Lake Borrie, where the Pelicans often are,
Eastern end. Hanging out with Purple Swamphens.
Jackson Airey

        Crested Shrike-tit, Olive-backed Oriole Serendip Sanctuary, Lara
1 Crested Shrike-tit outside the information centre, chased off by NHHE,
like most. Olive-backed Oriole heard for a couple of minutes towards the
main lake.
Jackson Airey

        Black Swans Banyule Flats Swamp, Heidelberg
The resident Swans have reared 4 cygnets, which now have black
wing-feathers appearing. The old birds appear to be re-building their
nest, one bird adding new plant material to it, while the other cruises
nearby.
Anthea Fleming

        Scarlet Honeyeaters Banyule Flats, Heidelberg
Two birds at south end of Windmill Track, near the Windmill, on east
side of dry Billabong. Feeding on Grey Mistletoe with two Eastern
Spinebills. Richard Loyn identified them.
Anthea Fleming

        Hooded Plover,Blue-winged parrot, peregrine falcon etc Cape
Woolamai, Phillip Island
Sighted on loop walk: Blue winged parrot (one flock of 20+ birds),
white-fronted chat (x1), New Holland honeyeater (one flock of 5 birds, 2
singletons), peregrine falcon (x1), Nankeen kestrel (male and female,
probably a pair), hooded plover (x1), European goldfinch (one flock of
12+ birds), silvereye (3 flocks of 6-12 birds).
Paul Manley

        Lewin's Rail Cheetham Wetlands, Laverton
Following up on previous reports Lewin's Rail located on Skeleton Creek.
Observed from about 5m onto the footbridge for 20 minutes up and down
the bank under the vegetation.
Jackson Airey

        Noisy Friarbirds Junortoun
Four Noisy Friarbirds on the O'Keefe Trail in Junortoun, 12km from
Bendigo.
Tim & Jodie Stirling

Sat 3 Jul       Flame Robin and Hooded Robin; Swift Parrots. Gully Track
Welshmans Reef
Ten male Flame Robins and four females in a paddock along the track,
also male and female Hooded Robin on the fence line. The Swift Parrots
are still at the end of Mia Mia road Newstead.
John Alexander

Thu 1 Jul       Rose Robin Castlemaine Botanical Gardens
The rose robin was in the elm trees reported earlier this week. It was 9
a.m. this morning and freezing! Just not quite close enough for a good
photograph.
Gary Oliver

        Shy Albatross Portsea ocean beach
Found beach washed Shy Albatross about halfway between Portsea SLSC and
the Sorrento rocks, above high tide mark. Wingspan about 1.9m. Lens cap
is 61mm diam.
Peter Bennet

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by Birds Australia - Victoria
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/the-organisation/victoria.html>  and
co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds <http://www.eremaea.com> .