birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 01:30:34 +1000
Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 13 Jun 2010.

Sun 13 Jun      Black Kite Richmond
A single bird low over houses in Richmond, nw of Sydney
Eric Finley

        Brown Falcon (x2), Collard Sparrowhawk, Zebra Finch Richmond
Lowlands
Two weeks ago I was convinced there were two "residents", but today I
saw both up close to confirm my suspicions. One in Onus Lane, the other
at the west end of Cornwallis (past Bakers Lagoon). Also saw at least 50
Zebra Finches in Onus Lane, an adult White-bellied Sea Eagle in Triangle
Lane as well as a Collared Sparrowhawk in a tree next to me along the
road.
Ákos Lumnitzer

        Plumed Whistling Duck Castlereagh Cell
I observed at least six at a small pond early this morning on the east
side of Castlereagh Rd, north of Castlereagh. The pond's on private
land, but easily visible from the road. Excuse the poor image as they
were very far from the road. (~100m)
Ákos Lumnitzer

Sat 12 Jun      White-headed Pigeon Westleigh
single bird flying over Oakleigh Oval Westleigh
Ian Francis

        Pale-yellow Robin, Albert's Lyrebirds, Southern Logrunner MT
Warning
We saw 5 Pale-yellow Robins on the rainforest track up on Mt Warning and
we also saw about 10 Logrunners and 2 Albert's Lyrebirds.
Ross, David and Michael Krippner and Jackson Hagley

Fri 11 Jun      Restless Flycatcher Narellan
Whilst teaching my Year 8 students creative writing this afternoon, at
Magdalene Catholic High School, a small flock of Red-rumped Parrots
landed on the grass outside my classroom. I watched them for a few
minutes and was most surprised when a Restless Flycatcher landed in a
sapling, called and buzzed a bit, then took off.
Lorne Johnson

        Little Lorikeet Rydalmere industrial area
At 16:00 today, two flew overhead. I have been hearing LIttle Lorikeets
feeding in the flowering gums around the park backing onto my warehouse
near Park Rd and Victoria Rd. [Moderators note: whilst Little Lorikeets
are regular in Sydney, it is worthwhile looking for Swift Parrots in
this area].
Ákos Lumnitzer

Wed 9 Jun       Varied Triller 4m west of Sapphire Beach
Single male observed foraging in understorey of a blackbutt forest.
Phil O'Shea

Mon 7 Jun       Brown Goshawk Plumpton Park
I was alerted to the presence of a hawk in a tree by the Noisy Miners.
Size, eyes and talons made it a Brown Goshawk, confirmation was
difficult as it had no tail whatsoever. Several minutes later I saw a
larger female (complete with tail) circling above.
Mark Fuller

        Brolga Hastings River Drive, Port Macquarie
Two seen at 8 am 500 m WSW of Fernbank Creek bridge, after all the rain.
Ian Kerr

Sun 6 Jun       Flame Robin Moss Vale
Two pairs of Flame Robins were found late this afternoon on a recently
cleared paddock adjacent to the cattle sale-yards and wetlands, at the
end of a bitumen road that comes off Berrima Road, about 2.8km from Moss
Vale Road. The males' plumage was absolutely breathtaking. At one stage,
I watched one pair bathing in puddles. Another new species for my
Southern Highlands list. I think these birds are seen most infrequently
down here.
Lorne Johnson

, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/basna>  and Cumberland Bird Observers