birding-aus

Night Parrot Report

Subject: Night Parrot Report
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 15:07:18 +1000
Wow !!!!  What a great sight Tim
Hi all,

I have just received a report of a Night Parrot seen Skull Springs Road in
Western Australia from Clive Curson at 21 52 15S 120 48 29E on 2/06/2010. Notes
from Clive Curson are as follows:

I noticed the single bird fluttering next to the car, so stopped as soon as I
could. It has perched a foot off the ground in a dead bush. I got my binoculars
quickly only the bird, only 6-7m away. It then fluttered forward a meter or 2
to the ground and hopped once or twice, in front of me but turning it's face to
observe me. The emerald back flecked with dark markings, short tail and very
stocky build caused me to immediately dismiss Musk Lorikeet as an option (aside
from the range). Largish head had a greyish/horn/black (slightly large) bill. A
couple of centimeters larger than a Musk Lorikeet, it may have weighed twice as
much due to it's large body. This bird resembled nothing else I had seen, and
even with only 15-20sec (Bino) view of the bird, it is like no other parrot in
the West or the whole of region. About 30-40seconds after I first spotted it
it, flew/fluttered off into the spinifex, ignoring the tree about 25-30m away.
I searched the spinifex for 15-20minutes.

Cheers,

Tim Dolby