birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 01:31:48 +1000
Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 6 Jun 2010.

Sun 6 Jun       Double-barred Finch Wodonga
A flock of about five birds seen in a scrubby area in a gully, opposite
a small vineyard on Felltimber Creek Road..
Paul Dodd & Ruth Woodrow

        Fairy Tern Werribee Sewage Farm
Fairly quiet day, highlight was an adult non-breeding Fairy Tern, on
coastline rocks NE of Beach Rd gate, got good photos. Also had a female
darter near Little River Ford, 2 Flame Robins on corner of Point Wilson
Rd & Beach Rd.
Kevin Bartram

        Intermediate Egret Rossiter Road Wetlands, Carrum Downs
The only bird of interest on a miserable day--dodgy photo attached.
Stuart Cooney

Sat 5 Jun       Scarlet Honeyeater Killawarra Forest
At least 11 present near Mattamia Rd-Irishtown Tk where the have been
since April. One bird a bright red male.
Michael Ramsey

Fri 4 Jun       Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo, Australian Reed-Warbler
Chinaman's Island Yarrawonga
Two out of season observations. Horsfield's Bronze-cuckoo calling and
two Australian Reed-warblers in a reed bed by Lake Mulwala.
Michael Ramsey

Thu 3 Jun       Blue-winged Parrot Williamstown
Flying high over the Strand. Luckily I'd just walked out of the Physio
who'd fixed my neck so I was able to actually look up and see it
Andrew Hurnard

Wed 2 Jun       Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater Melb Water retarding basin,
Hallam Valley Rd, Dandenong South
2 birds were observed in the Meleleucas along the drainage channel.
Martin Cobern

        Flame Robin Garnet Street, near Bell Station, Preston
One uncolored bird, I suspect a first immature in alley way just off
Garnet St. Unusual to see in such a built-up area.
Kevin Bartram

        White-backed Swallows Quarry Hill Golf Course (Bendigo)
3 White-backed swallows observed flying over the Russell Street Quarry
hill Golf Course dam, 11.50am. First observed when playing the 17th hole
and were still there when playing the 18th at least 15 minutes coursing
over the dam.
Greg McKay

        Swift Parrot Kingower State Forest
(30). South end of Gap Rd; 10 minutes sighting around 5pm. Also 17 seen
and/or heard between 12noon and 2pm on Burkes Flat-Wehla Rd. Large
numbers of Musk Lorikeets and many Purple-crowned Lorikeets in Wehla
Block (Kooyoora) plus a few Little Lorikeets.
Malcolm Cousland

        Lewin's Rail & Spotless Crake Point Cook Coastal Park
One of each on Skeleton Creek
John Barkla

        Pink Robin Sorrento
One female Pink Robin seen near my home. Regular autumn/winter migrant;
always a single bird.
Val Ford

Tue 1 Jun       Fan-tailed Cuckoo Woodlands Historic Park
Saw a juvenile Fan-tailed Cuckoo just inside the entrance to the Back
Paddock at 1pm. Lots of Red-capped and Flame Robins also foraging in the
area.
Jeremy Weiss

        Azure Kingfisher Chelsworth Park, Ivanhoe
Single bird sitting quietly and making short flights inside the creek
flowing into the Yarra near the Powerful Owl roost (no sign of the owl
itself).
Bill Stent

        Little Eagle Melton Township
Single Female Dark Morph Little Eagle soaring over the centre of Melton.
Wedge-Tailed Eagle also seen soaring over the same area.
David Whelan

Mon 31 May      Brolga Lake Goldsmith (south of Beaufort)
Three brolgas landed in a paddock on the Beaufort side of Lake Goldsmith
as I drove south at 8.10 a.m. When I returned along the same road at
4.15 p.m. there were two brolgas in a different paddock walking towards
a dam about two kms from the Lake.
Gary Oliver

Sun 30 May      White-winged Black Tern Western Treatment Plant,
Werribee
A single bird in full non-breeding plumage with a few non-breeding
Whiskered Terns at Lake Borrie. As might be expected with a full bus of
keen observers, we dipped on OBP's, Australasian Bittern and Northern
Shoveler and only had 83 species for the WTP for the day.
John Barkla + everyone on BA Conservation Forum bus trip

        Hooded Plover Point Roadknight
11 Hooded Plover were seen at Point Roadknight - 2 on the seaside of the
point, and 9 on the bayside. [The most I'd previously recorded at Point
Roadknight was 8 birds. TD]
BA Field Group (Tim Dolby, Euan & Jennifer Moore, Alan Gillanders et al)
White-chinned Petrel Point Addis
4 White-chinned Petrel seen clearly close to shore at Pt Addis Lookout.
Strong winds pushed a wide range of seabirds onshore including
Black-browed (8), Shy (2), and Yellow-nosed Albatross (1), several
parties of Fluttereing Shearwater and 2 'white terns', most likely
White-fronted Tern. Also at Point Addis 2 Rufous Bristlebird and a Pink
Robin (Ironbark Walk).
BA Field Group (Tim Dolby, Euan & Jennifer Moore, Alan Gillanders et
al.)

        White-bellied Sea-Eagle Coldstream Cell
I've heard about Sea-Eagle sightings in the area from Sugarloaf Res. and
today saw 1 circling over the Maroondah Highway North of Coldstream,
passing over the car.
Jackson Airey

Sat 29 May      Satin Bowerbird O'Donohue Picnic Ground, Sherbrooke
Forest
Several groups of approximately six 'green' birds were seen foraging
throughout the area. No adult males were observed.
Ian Wheatland

        Black-tailed Native-hen Racecourse Reserve, Mentone
The bird was seen by the edge of the duck pond,I would think that this
would be an unusual sighting in suburbia.
Ben Sinclair

Fri 28 May      Swift Parrot Deep Lead Nature Conservation Reserve
Five individuals sighted briefly, sitting in Yellow Gums just off 40
foot Track. Good views for 2 minutes or so before the group took off in
a north-westerly direction.
Ian Wheatland

Sun 23 May      Scaly-breasted Lorikeet Viewbank
3 in red gums near Plenty River at far end of Martins Lane.
Richard Loyn

Sat 22 May      Scarlet Honeyeater Banyule Flat
Pair still present near windmill beside Yarra River. By the way, the
maximum I saw at this site was 6 on 17 April.
Richard Loyn

Sun 16 May      Spiny-Cheeked Honeyeater Melton
Three spiny-cheeked honeyeaters seen near Harkness Road in Melton West.
Alan Jones

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by Birds Australia - Victoria
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/the-organisation/victoria.html>  and
co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds <http://www.eremaea.com> .