birding-aus

Help on bird feeding review

Subject: Help on bird feeding review
From: <>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 16:49:25 +1000
Greetings fellow bird lovers.

I have been inspired by the lovely Steve McBride (thank you Steve for planting
the seed) to reflect on the possible potential this message list and the many
contributors may provide in my 'review of the state of bird feeding in
Australia'.

I am seeking any and all information from any and all reliable sources on
'confirmed' sites and settings throughout Australia (yes Tasmania too) where
wild bird feeding is 'currently' taking place on low, medium, high intensity
scales / with free-ranging birds 'conditioned' to feeding at these locations.

I am presently aware of O'Reilly's, Currumbin, Bunya Mountains, Grants picnic
ground, Cleland wildlife park SA (though I do not have direct experience of
this activity - any details eg species and numbers of birds being fed would be
appreciated?) - High intensity bird feeding as an 'organised activity' ie -
feed is sold on site to offer to birds.

As well as large scale feeding at Lake Junduloop WA, Pemberton WA, Badgers Weir
and Sherbrooke Picnic Ground VIC. Royal National Park NSW where people are
'conditioned' to feeding seed and or human foodstuffs (but seed is not sold on
location).

Pelican feeding at Tin Can Bay and Phillip Island.

Recreational sites - lakes etc where people regularly feeding ducks etc.

Just saw a promotion for feeding birds of prey at the Tweed - but I am unsure
if these are 'wild' birds of prey?  If anyone is familiar with this.  Conjuring
some fairly interesting images.

Any recent confirmation that birds are still being fed at Wilson's Prominatory?

Any other locations - with details of extent of feeding activity?

Caravan Parks

Restaurants - eg Polish House Tamborine, Springbrook - I believe there are a
number of establishments feeding?

Wildlife parks?  (But not captive birds)

etc etc.....

What species are being fed?

And surely there must be a prize for the most outlandish food stuff anybody has
witnessed being offered?? Ie... details of items people have observed birds
being offered eg. sultanas, bread, fruit buns, chips, chicken to sulphur
crested cockatoos.

Also if you live in a shire / district where the local council has a firm
policy on bird feeding (I believe there are a couple in Victoria) I would also
appreciate confirmation of these locations.

With my utmost gratitude!
Michelle Plant

To the list administrator - am I able to officially reference information
gleened to birding-aus or do you prefer that it is personal communications (in
which case each person providing comment - will need to state if information is
provided with the requirement of anonymity or happy for me to reference name?