birding-aus

Grey Grasswren spot

To: "Murray Hunt" <>, <>
Subject: Grey Grasswren spot
From: " Moorhead Family" <>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 12:34:12 +1000
Re Grey Grasswren.

A good accessible spot is near the Tennappera HS turnoff on what is sometimes called the Ádventure Way' between Thargomindah and Innamincka...in the Jackson Oil field area. If approaching from the east , turn L about 120km west of Thargo. It is bitumen all the way and the various crossings of Coopers Ck are obvious and shown on all the maps. As always with GGW, look for healthy lignum. I find the middle of day is actually quite good for most grasswrens including GGW. My last successful sighting was at S27°30'E141°56' at 1350. The best lignum is often right next to the road. We even saw one from the car whilst driving slowly!...But best park safely off the road and walk back slowly along the road near the lignum. Be patient. Do not use excessive playback and you'll see them...might take a few hours though. This area is public land with a bitumen road right up to the best spots. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Bill