birding-aus

Warriewood Wetlands, Northern Sydney 16 May

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Warriewood Wetlands, Northern Sydney 16 May
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 21:17:17 +1000
Hi all
In honour of it being Swift Parrot/Regent Honeyeater survey day today, I thought I'd check out the flowering Swamp Mahoganies at Warriewood Wetlands (on a walk with my family, so from 10:30am-12), just in case.... Sadly, neither of of these species were there to be seen. The Swamp Mahogany is still flowering well and there are hordes of lorikeets about. The bulk are Rainbows, but with a good smattering of Scaly-breasted and Musks as well. Unlike my visit about 4 weeks back, I also managed to get onto some very small lorikeets as they arrived in a tree and I managed to identify 4 Little Lorikeets. It's a good job I saw them go in, as once in the tree they were well nigh impossible to see.

On the honeyeater front, there were lots of Yellow-faced and Scarlets, plenty of Lewins and a single Fuscous seen in the trees where the track in Warriewood runs next to the stream/creek.

Also at the site a Brown Goshawk did regular pass-bys, putting the lorikeets up. (It was one of these passes that put the Little Lorikeets up, so well done that Goshawk!) A pair of Olive-backed Oriole were near the elevated boardwalk in Irrawong Reserve and a single "brown" Rose Robin right up by the waterfall. And a moment when a Brown Gerygone came to check me out as I was looking at the robin - I've never had a bird sit on my bins before, but this was mighty close...
Cheers

Tom Wilson