birding-aus

Bird calls CDs-RFI (and book recommendations)

To: "Chris Lloyd" <>, <>
Subject: Bird calls CDs-RFI (and book recommendations)
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 11:33:52 +1000
Hi all,

Another set of interesting nature recordings comes from Listening Earth, see
http://www.listeningearth.com.au/ . (I've no commercial connection with this
site). Andrew is a sound recorder based in Castlemaine (Vic), and despite the
'new age' packaging and marketing of the webpage, the recordings themselves are
fantastic! For example Andrew did the soundscapes for Chris Tzaros's 'Wildlife
of the Box-Ironbark Country'. Here's a couple of samples, see
http://www.listeningearth.com.au/albums/19RfSanctuary/19RfSanctuary_Album_Info.htm
 and http://www.listeningearth.com.au/albums/06Outback/06Outback_Album_Info.htm
.

Call me strange, but I listen to this sort of thing on my iPod. That's not
strange is it!?

While on the subject of bird calls, if you're looking for a good book to read
on the subject try 'Birdsong: a natural history' by Don Stap. It deals with the
social history of bird sound recording, and why do birds sing and what do their
songs mean? The text is little dry at first, but give it time, it soon develops.

Also I've just finished reading another good book on birds entitled
'Birdwatchingwatching [sic]: one year, two men, three rules, ten thousand
birds', by Alex Horne a comedian from the UK. It's about a father and son doing
a Big Year. The book seems to be written directly for me (or about me), with
the first line of the book reading "My father is a birdwatcher". A statement
that reflects upon my own father, who was a birdwatcher (and so was his
father!), and is pertinent to my two sons and their reflection of me as a
birdwatcher. (It is especially pertinent - perhaps comically so - considering
that I did my own VicTwitch / Big Year last year.) The book's written in the
same vain as Sean Dooley's masterful book 'The Big Twitch', and indeed Alex
Horne reflects on Dool's book in his introduction.

Cheers,

Tim