birding-aus

Fork-tailed Swift preliminary report 2009/10

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Fork-tailed Swift preliminary report 2009/10
From: Michael Tarburton <>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 08:03:36 +1000
G'day BA subscribers

The WTNT preliminary report elicited a good response in the way of
increased sightings and so here is the preliminary FTS report for the season that is just ending. If you have any recent or even very old
records for either species, please send them direct to me.

Enjoy the read & happy swift watching.

Mike Tarburton
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

                Fork-tailed Swift (Apus pacificus ) Preliminary Report for
2009/10
Season.
                 [Summary of 140 sightings sent to me or published where I could
find them]

In this season I have 30 records more than in the previous season.
The first sightings were not from WA this year.  Bas Henson saw the
first Fork-tailed Swifts (2) on 28th September at Casuarina Coastal
Reserve on the edge of Darwin (NT).

A few days later Sheryl & Arthur Keates saw 20+ also on the edge of
Darwin at East Point, Military Museum on 2nd October.

The first report from Qld was of 25 birds at Rangeville, Toowoomba,
seen by Michael Atzeni on 3rd October.

The first WA report was of 2 birds on the Dampier Peninsula recorded
by Gary Wright on 20 October. A few days later Bill Moorhead & Rohan
Clarke made sighting on and near Ashmore Reef.

The first Vic report was of 50+ birds at Mildura seen by Michael Mack & Bob Palmer on 2 November.

The first NSW sighting was of 300+ birds seen at Catherine Hill Bay
on 21 Nov by Martin Cachard & Garry Deering.

The first SA report was of 200 birds at Kingscote, Kangaroo Island on 18 Jan seen by Chris Baxter.

I have no reports from ACT or Tas. for last season.

On 38 occasions the FTS were with White-throated Needletails.  On
seven occasions they were with martins, swallows, “nest swiftlet” or wood-swallows.

The last sighting I have was on 11 April when  Chris Watson saw 400+
at Kata Tjuta (The Olgas).

The largest group reported was of 1800 birds at Bundaberg Botanic
Gardens (Qld),  seen by Chris Barnes.  A group of 1000+ were seen at
Parkes, NSW, by Neville Schrader and 500+ were seen at Mt Ebenezer
Roadhouse, Lasseter Hwy, NT, by Chris Watson.

Of the 140 sightings I know of, 50 were made in NSW (20 up on last
year), 28 in the NT (3 up on last year), 30 in Qld (down 11), 7 in
SA  (up 3), 10 in Vic (up 4), 0 in ACT and 15 in WA.(up 4).

I thank the following contributers:  Jim Allan (1), John Allsop (1),
Anon per BASNA (5 records), Chris Armstrong (4), Michael Atzeni (5),
Chris Barnes (1), Chris Baxter (1), Lewis Benham (1), Darryl Binns
(2), Greg Bortolussi (3), Adrian Boyle (1), Keith Brandwood (1),
Broome Bird Observ (1), Grant Brosie (1), Paul Burcher (2), Steve
Burke (1), Martin Cachard & Garry Deering (1), Nev Capell (1),
Dominic Chaplin (1), Greg Clancy (5), Rohan Clarke (3), Nathaniel
Doecke (2), Tim Dolby (2),  Robert Dougherty (2),Sandra Dunglison
(1), Len & Chris Ezzy (1), Marc Gardner (8), Clive Garland (1), Col
Gibson (1), Barbara Gilfedder (1), Janet ‘Glassco’ (1), Denise
Goodfellow (2), Phil Gregory (3), Don Hadden (2), Phil Hansboro (1),
Frank Hemmings (1), Bas Hensen (2), Peter Higgins (3), Dick Jenkin
(1), Geoffrey Jones (2), Sheryl & Arthur Keates (1), Ian Kerr (1),
Peter Kyne (4), Maris Lauva (1), Andrew Ley (1), Michael Mack & Bob
Palmer (1), Pat McConnell, (1), Ian May (1), Bill & Jack Moorhead
(4), Bev Morgan (1), Troy Mutton (2), Richard Noske (2), Des Palmer
(1), Steve Potter (1), Michael Ramsey (5), John Rawthorne (3), Greg
Roberts (1), Mick Roderick (2), Chris Sanderson & Andrew Stafford
(1), Nev Schrader (1), Simon Starr (1), Alan Stuart & ? (2),Lani
Smith (1), Lisa Tanner & Dominic Chaplin (1), Tom Tarrant (1), Warren Thompson (1), Brian Tuney (8), Edwin Vella (1), Brian Venables (1),
Chris Watson (2), Tom Wilson (1), Gary Wright (4),

Michael Tarburton