birding-aus

RFI Darwin mid May

To: Nikolas Haass <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: RFI Darwin mid May
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 04:03:49 +0930
Nikolas

Try Stuart Park mangroves for Chestnut Rail.  The path off to the left and
the Elizabeth River bridge, Palmerston, is not bad for Mangrove Golden
Whistler - otherwise Adelaide River on the Arnhem Highway.  Just watch out
for the crocodiles there.  They're used to being fed by people.

The best spots I've found for White-breasted Whistler are also in the
Palmerston mangroves.  You could try the Palmerston sewage ponds for the
whistlers and also for Mangrove Grey Fantail, but that spot doesn't seem as
good as it used to be.

The best spot I've found for Little Kingfisher is Howard Springs - Peter
Valentine and I saw two there a few weeks ago.

The easiest way to find the button-quails is to drive roads out of town at
night.  They sit on the road. Red-backed is more common than
Chestnut-backed.  Still I've found Chestnut-backed doing this along the
Arnhem Highway (near the South Alligator is a good spot) and on tracks  into
camp sites around Kakadu). Red-backed is also around both Darwin and
Palmerston.

The closest to town that I've found Partridge Pigeon is Southport, near
Berry Springs.

Be careful if you decide to go to Holmes Jungle or Buffalo Creek- lots of
break ins occur in both places.

You may not get into Gunlom considering all the rain we've had the road may
be in pretty bad shape.  Try Bardedjilidji for Chestnut-quilled Rock-pigeon.
It's good for all the sandstone endemics (including the macropodids), apart
from White-throated Grasswren.

I'm sure others will send you lots of information but if there are any gaps
let me know and I'll attempt to fill them in.

--
Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow
PO Box 3460 NT 0832, AUSTRALIA

Birdwatching and Indigenous tourism consultant
PhD Candidate
Interpreter/transcriber, Lonely Planet Guide to Aboriginal Australia

Research survey:
For American birders -
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=h3NCqTwur3H_2bPlbFtk_2bSpw_3d_3d
For UK and other birders
-http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=adx6k4cK_2fqMWzw79jmrmzg_3d_3d

http://www.denisegoodfellow.com.au
http://www.earthfoot.org
www.fatbirder.com/
For copies of Birds of Australia¹s Top End or Quiet Snake Dreaming, visit
amazon.com