birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 01:30:56 +1000
Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 11 Apr 2010.

Sun 11 Apr      Gilbert's Whistler Warraderry State Forest, Grenfell
At least two males calling.
Bruce Ward & Allan Richards

Sat 10 Apr      Rock Warbler, Grey Currawong Porters Creek Rd/ 8k Nth of
Milton
Last week while searching for the supposed? Brush Turkey in the area. We
travelled 14k up to Porters Creek Dam where at the carpark/picnic area,
a hot spot for these Origmas, we spotted 2. Driving slowly on the return
journey down we had 4 separate sightings of these birds on the road
along with a Grey Currawong, which is really unusual. Porters Creek Road
is erroneously called Pointer Gap Rd on Google Earth if you should go
looking for it.
Dave Stepheson, Bob Black, Bob Rusk

        Common Noddy Newcastle Ocean Baths nr Nobby's Beach
The Common Noddy, first seen by Judi Thomas at the Newcastle Ocean Baths
Reefs on 7 Apr, was seen by Richard Nicholls this morning at 700 hrs,
and then later it could not be found. It certainly was not to be seen
between 915-1045 hrs when I and another observer was looking for it!
Good views of Ruddy Turnstones in breeding plumage can be obtained.
Alan Morris

        Black Noddy Long Reef, NSW (Sydney's Northern Beaches)
The Black Noddy was again showing very well this morning at Long Reef.
It was seen fishing around the seaward edge of the reef and a few times
roosting on the rocks allowing a very close approach within 1 metre
(Noddies are usually tame) as it preened and appearing not concerned
with my company. Other birds seen on the reef included 4 Pacific Golden
Plovers (one with alot of breeding plumage), 10 Double-banded Plovers,
20 Red-necked Stints (including one nicely coloured individual), 3
Grey-tailed Tattlers (all 3 in breeding plumage), 15 Ruddy Turnstones
and 13 Sooty Oystercatchers.
Edwin Vella and Michael Ronan

        Wilson's Storm-Petrels, Buller's Albatross, Brown Skua Sydney
Pelagic Trip
No New Zealand Storm-Petrel but amazing numbers of Wilson's
Storm-Petrels with a total of 250 estimated - many of these in a band of
activity about 16NM east of Sydney Heads. Other highlights were a
Buller's Albatross and an early returning Brown Skua. [Moderators' note:
we would like to add some Cetacean highlights as we were on-board this
boat today - lots of (at least 20+) Risso's Dolphin were seen off the
shelf-break, some very close to the boat; & some (at least 10)
Pantropical Spotted Dolphin, were enjoying a free bow ride as we were
coming back to shore. MC & CC].
Roger McGovern

Thu 8 Apr       Black Noddy Long Reef, Northern Beaches
A Black Noddy seen and photographed this afternoon at long Reef, thanks
to Mark Young.
David Mitford

        Common Noddy Newcastle Baths
Single bird has been seen by a number of observers since yesterday
morning on the rock shelf directly behind Newcastle Baths, roosting with
Silver Gulls, Crested Terns, Common Tern, Sooty Oystercatchers, Ruddy
Turnstone and Little Black Cormorant. Still there late this afternoon
(app 5pm)
Nick Livanos

        Tree Martin Bayveiw Dog Park!
A group of Tree Martins flew over this evening, the first time I have
seen this species in 7yrs of living on the Northern Beaches.
Henry Coleman

        Common Noddy Hastings Point
Seen with with terns, stayed around quite a long time fairly close to
the point, then headed south,also rested on water at one stage (2).
Kathy Wilk

        Azure Kingfisher Penrith Lakes
One adult noted hanging around the warm-up lake. Never seen this species
here so it must be a rarity.
Ákos Lumnitzer

Wed 7 Apr       White-headed Pigeon Springwood, Blue Mountains
A single White-headed Pigeon seen flying across the Great Western
Highway near the railway station. Not a common species here but they are
regular visitors at this time of year when the camphor laurel berries
appear.
Clive Meadows

Tue 6 Apr       Little Eagle, White-bellied Sea-eagle & Whistling Kite
Stockton Sandspit
An apparent dispute over a dead fish saw a group of predatory birds
having some aerial battles at Stockton Sandspit early this afternoon.
The prey item could not be seen but firstly an immature Sea-eagle chased
off a Little Eagle and attempted to claim the prize only to be chased
off by two adult Sea-eagles. They eventually moved off so that two
Whistling Kites and several Australian Ravens moved in to finish off
only to have the two adult Sea-eages return and chase away all the
smaller predators. Much swooping and calling by all parties. 37 Pied
Oystercatchers, 12 Caspian terns and 6 Little Terns were the other main
highlights.
Alan Morris & Laurie Smith

        Scaly-breasted Lorikeet, Musk Lorikeet Gibson Park, Thirroul
A small group of musk lorikeets are feeding in some flowering gum trees
between the football paddock and the bowling club. these birds have been
in the trees for a few weeks. Also scaly's, rainbow's and wattle birds
in with them.
Michael Crosland

Mon 5 Apr       White-bellied Sea-eagle Parsley Bay, Brooklyn -
Hawkesbury River
One juvenile and one adult flying down the river. On Mooney Mooney
Creek, near the train station, were an Eastern Curlew and a Striated
Heron.
Tony Keene

        Superb Parrot,Turquoise Parrot,Ground Cuckoo-shrike,Diamond
Firetail,Emu,Chestnut-rumped Heathwren Forbes/Grenfell/Cowra Districts &
Lithgow site
Over the Easter weekend in the above areas, the following highlights
were recorded: 3 Ground Cuckoo-shrikes seen at Back Yamma SF (20km NE of
Forbes) on 3/04; good numbers (30+) of Superb Parrots were between
Bandon & Gooloogong on 2/04 & again on 5/04 (this is proving to be a
very reliable site at any time of year), with a single adult male flying
over at Back Yamma on 3/04; many Diamond Firetails were at both Back
Yamma & Weddin SF (20km SW of Grenfell) from 3-5/04; at least 10
Turquoise Parrots (incl. juveniles) were observed at Weddin SF from
3-5/04. Other good birds in the area were an Aust Owlet-nightjar
photographed at its hollow entrance enjoying the afternoon sunshine,
Aust Hobby, Peregrine Falcon, Hooded Robin, & White-backed Swallow, plus
a host of the usual woodland birds expected such as Speckled Warbler,
both Western & White-throated Gerygones, White-throated Nightjar, Aust
Ringneck, Blue Bonnet, late Sacred Kingfishers, Rainbow Bee-eaters &
Leaden Flycatchers etc etc...On the way home on 5/04, a lone adult Emu
was spotted 12km W of Lyndhurst on the Mid Western Hwy, & 2 single
Chestnut-rumped Heathwrens more than 200mtrs apart, were at our regular
site 7km E of Lithgow.
Martin Cachard & Garry Deering

        Common Tern Botany Bay, near Penrhyn
Up to 10 Common Terns seen fishing together along the 3rd runway at
Sydney Airport. I've occasionally seen Commons here, but not in these
numbers. Also seen was an Arctic Jaeger actively chasing Silver Gulls
and Crested Terns. Photo is from 4/4/10 in same location.
Nigel Coghlan

        Chestnut-rumped Heathwren Challenger Track, Ku-rin-gai NP (West
Head side)
Single bird seen and heard briefly in low heath near the Broken Bay
lookout end of the track, just before it enters the bigger trees. Also
10 species of honeyeater seen on the walk (Noisy Miner, Noisy Friarbird,
Red & Little Wattlebird, E Spinebill, Scarlet, New Holland, White
Cheeked, White Eared, Yellow Faced). Birds very active & vocal, despite
very little being in flower.
Tom Wilson

        Little Lorikeet Bilgola Plateau & Avalon
Have had small numbers of Little Lorikeets flying around the Plateau and
feeding in flowering eucs (some Swamp Mahogany). Friend also reported a
dozen in a tree in Avalon on Saturday. Good numbers of Scaly-breasted
too, which seem to increase rapidly when flowers come out, otherwise
mostly Rainbows.
Alan McBride

        Rose Robin, Little Lorikeets Yarramundi (NW Sydney)
Whilest walking along the Nepean River at Yarramundi, I heard one of my
first Rose Robins for Sydney this season. There was also a good mix of
birds including an adult White-bellied Sea-eagle, Whistling Kite and
Black-shouldered Kite, a few Little Lorikeets calling ovehead, a few
Bar-shouldered Doves, 2 Azure Kingfishers, Restless Flycatcher, Varied
Sitella and lots of Scarlet Honeyeaters singing away in the casuarinas.
Edwin Vella

        Square-tailed Kite Windsor Rd, McGraths Hill (NW Sydney)
This morning saw an immaculate plumaged adult Square-tailed Kite soaring
very low over the traffic lights at the junction of Windsor Rd and Pitt
Town Road. I had excellent views of it from my car while I was waiting
for the lights to turn green. If only I could get out of my car and hold
the traffic while I can get some excellent photos of this bird! Over
recent years they certainly have been making a regular occurance in the
suburbs of Western Sydney with McGraths Hill being one of its regular
haunts.
Edwin Vella

        Cape Barren Goose Ulladulla / Update to the Geese
The C.B.Goose which was spotted 2 wks ago was captured by members of the
Native Animal Rescue Group (NARG) concerned for its safety and relocated
to Bega. Why? I don't know. A local couple at nearby Narrawallee said
that on Jan 13 a pair of the Geese had spent the day in and around their
house all day unpreturbed by the cars or people before disappearing over
night. Could it be that NARG has struck before !
Bob Rusk

Sun 4 Apr       Ground Cuckoo-shrike Roadside between Gunnedah and
Curlewis
3 birds seen perched in dead tree beside Hwy. Took flight and landed in
leafy eucalypt before flying off into the nearby paddock. First time
I've heard this species calling. Lots of grasshoppers in the local area.
Grant Brosie and Darryl Luck

        Wandering Albatross and Black-browed Albatross Mistral Point,
Maroubra
Singles of both Wandering and Black-browed Albatrosses seen today, 2
Pomarine Jaegers, 2 Flesh-footed Shearwaters and over 40 Australasian
Gannets also observed.
David Mitford

        Scaly-breasted Lorikeet Moore and Centennial Parks, Sydney
5 sightings of total of 12 birds. Very unusual numbers for inner Sydney.
Eric Finley

Fri 2 Apr       Flame Robin Little Murray Camping Area, Barrington Tops
Flame Robins were abundant around camping area and in the general
vicinity. Also large numbers of Yellow-faced Honeyeaters, White-eared
Honeyeaters, White-throated Treecreepers, Crimson & Eastern Rosella.
Rainbow & Scaly-breasted Lorikeets observed in moderate flocks each
afternoon.
Warren Brown

, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/basna>  and Cumberland Bird Observers