birding-aus

Blackbirds in Stanthorpe, QLD / bounty systems

To: Ross Macfarlane <>
Subject: Blackbirds in Stanthorpe, QLD / bounty systems
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 21:53:19 +1000
Hi Ross,

At the very least they would cause the spread of those exotic shrubs they
inhabit by depositing the seeds in ever increasing distances from the parent
plant.  There is also issues such as competition for resources with already
stressed natives where they do spill into more natural environments (and
they do, I've seen them in intact wet sclerophyll forests before, and in
box-ironbark too) as well as the potential to carry diseases from urban to
rural and natural environments.  I think where an opportunity exists to stop
a human-introduced species from expanding into new ranges without excessive
cruelty or expense in terms of money or manpower it should be at least
investigated.  Once things establish they become much harder to get rid of,
or far more expensive to control if the need arises.

Regards,
Chris