birding-aus

Blackbirds in Stanthorpe, QLD / bounty systems

To: Chris Sanderson <>, birding-aus <>
Subject: Blackbirds in Stanthorpe, QLD / bounty systems
From: Michael Atzeni <>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 23:09:55 +0800 (WST)
Chris,

Thanks for the update on the Quart Pot Creek birds at Stanthorpe.

For those unaware, the Toowoomba Bird Observers has been voluntarily
collecting blackbird records on behalf of Biosecurity Queensland via our
 website. I coordinate that process and am interested in any Queensland
and northern NSW records, particularly this past breeding season. Also
very keen to know of any nesting records, successful or otherwise.  I
have only had one report of a nest in Toowoomba and that was in the late
1990's.

For the record, the first Qld blackbird was reported in 1986 at Cooby Dam near
Toowoomba. In Toowoomba, we have known about them since in the suburb of
Wilsonton since the late 1990's. They are evidently still very thin on the
ground but have been reported in several other Toowoomba suburbs now.

Blackbirds have turned up in numerous Qld locations covering a wide range of
habitats over the years, from mulga country to Fraser Island. There's no doubt
in my mind that this is a highly adaptable and mobile species, which left
uncontrolled will eventually become a fully established horticultural pest in
Qld just as it has done in every other state it has colonised.  The Granite
Belt is particularly at risk.

Realistically, a novel bounty system is the only way I can see Queensland
keeping blackbirds at bay, especially in a city like Toowoomba, which has the
potential to become the blackbird capital of SEQ if we do nothing about them.
To that end, is anyone aware of a
successful bounty/reward system (for any bird species) that is based on
follow-up of photographic/video evidence of nests/birds submitted by the
public?

To report blackbirds you can email me directly or use the link:
http://toowoombabirdobservers.org.au/index.php?option=com_artforms&formid=1&Itemid=41

For
 a history of Qld sightings visit:
http://www.toowoombabirdobservers.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=26