birding-aus

1956

Subject: 1956
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 21:20:14 +1100
On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 02:42:05PM +1000, Lloyd Nielsen wrote:
> Steve - The year of tropical cyclones reaching S Qld – 4 over S Qld
> from Dec 1955 until mid March 1956 - hasn't been an event like it
> since I believe.

One interesting difference is that strong La Nina conditions prevailed
in 1956 which often produces wet NSW-Qld Spring-Summers but we are
have moderate El Nino conditions.

I believe the Darling is the minor partner with less than 20% of
the flow of the Murray on average - highly variable though and
1956 had months of rain in the Murray catchment as well
as what came down the Darling.

Andrew