birding-aus

Interesting 2010 rainfall Stat.

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Interesting 2010 rainfall Stat.
From: Chris Gregory <>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 16:53:49 +1100
Things have changed since 1956.

Even though this is a once-in-100-year flood only 700 of the 1800 gigalitres
that has flowed through St George's Beardmore dam in the last few weeks will
flow into NSW and the Darling system. Most has gone to fill cotton
irrigation dams with the largest being the giant (400 gigalitre or one Syd.
Harb. capacity) Cubbie Station Dam.

As some of you will know the cotton pickn' Cubbie Station after years of
drought went under owing banks 300 million big ones. Last Wednesday the Feds
won a Supreme Court case which had been brought to test the Qld Govt's
"resources operations plan" and its claim its water rights were not legally
tradeable. The win means the Feds can now consider a purchase of Cubbie's
water license under their $3 billion program to buy back water for the
environment.

Nevertheless large volumes of water are entering the Darling system and
there are practical limits on how much irrigators can take out during a
flood. Also water is entering the Darling system through flood stricken
Charleville and the Warrego River. Likewise the exceptional rains in
southern NSW around Wagga over the last few days means the Murrumbidgee
river is starting to flood.

Oh and in 1956 "Around the world in 80 days" won best picture Oscar and
Wally Lewis won best actor for his role in "The King and I" - the last one
is for Queensland viewers only

Cheers
Chris Gregory