birding-aus

Collared Sparrowhawk, Ivanhoe, Vic.

Subject: Collared Sparrowhawk, Ivanhoe, Vic.
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 13:06:47 +1100
Looking out from an upstairs window at about 10.15 this morning, a bird about Spotted Dove-size flew through our neighbour's backyard, then turned sharply and alighted on a branch which gives a good view of the chook-house. An Accipiter! Very slim, quite small, rounded head with staring eyes, long thin yellow legs - Collared Sparrow-hawk!

Neither binocs nor camera within reach, but the markings showed it was a young bird, I think a male - fine bars on upper breast, splashy dark streaks on lower breast and belly. It stood on both legs - I saw the long middle toe on the right foot spread over the branch. It looked all round, then raised its right foot and perched one-legged, apparently looking at me - it was roughly 8 or 9 metres away, and at the same level, about 4.5 or 5 metres above ground - then took off and swept away over our roof.

An unexpected visit though they have been present in the district for many years.
Anthea Fleming