birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 01:30:48 +1000
Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 28 Feb 2010.

Sat 27 Feb      White-necked Petrel & Sooty Tern Continental shelf off
Wollongong (SOSSA Wollongong pelagic)
The highlights of today's Wollongong pelagic were a single White-necked
Petrel and also one juvenile Sooty Tern. Not too many birds otherwise:
one Wandering-type Albatross and one Shy-type Albatross, amongst the
usual suspects.
Frank Valckenborgh et al

        Glossy Black-Cockatoos Kings Point, Ulladulla
3 Glossies flew overhead this afternoon. This is the 3rd time this week.
This week's are the first I've seen this year - they could normally be
found in this area with a bit of a hunt, but not lately.
Bob Rusk

        Black Bittern Wyong Creek, South Tacoma & Ourimbah Ck Chittaway
A single Black Bittern was seen to flew up from Wyong Ck, South Tacoma,
and an adult Black Bitttern plus 4 dependent young were seen at Sunshine
Reserve Chittaway, during the CCBNSW Outing. Also at South Tacoma were
Striped Honeyeaters, Black-faced Monarch, a number of Sacred
Kingfishers, White-throated Needletails & Rufous Whistlers; while at
Sunshine Reserve were 3 Tawny Frogmouths & a Dollarbird, and at nearby
Tuggerah Bay saltmarsh off Lake Rd Tuggerah, a Hobby, Bar-shoulderd
Doves, Whiskered Tern & a Torresian Crow. Whistling Kites at all three
locations, and Striated Heron, Little & Great Egrets were seen at North
Chittaway and Chittaway Point
Alan Morris & 31 members Central Coast Group BNSW

        Wandering Albatross off Terrigal Haven NSW
A second year Wandering Albatross, still with brown patches on the head
and with dark brown wings, and blotched brown body, this morning,
collided with a charted fishing vessel at sea off Terrigal Haven and
landed on the deck. It was put back into the water but it was obviously
concussed and possibly was very weak, so a passing fisherman, rescued
the bird, brought it ashore and handed it over to Willdife ARC, where I
was able to identify it. This bird was banded by the South African
banding scheme. More detals are being sought.
Alan Morris

        Red-browed Treecreeper Bundanoon (Morton National Park)
I was somewhat surprised to see a few Red-browed Treecreepers foraging
in a narrow strand of sclerophyll forest between open picnic areas and
private horse paddocks, just inside Morton National Park's main gates,
early this afternoon. I've usually seen this species in denser habitat.
An immature bird was foraging with its parent - sometimes the adult
would hop inside a fallen log to search for its prey. Also present: a
pair of Scarlet Robins.
Lorne Johnson

        Spangled Drongo Sugarloaf Point, Hunters Hill/East Ryde
When down to Sugarloaf this morning to see if I can find Fatih's
drongos. As soon as I arrived one gave great views from an angophra near
the power station. I couldn't tell if there was two or just one, as I
often heard it call from different areas.
Max Breckenridge

Thu 25 Feb      Spangled Drongo Buffalo Creek Reserve, East Ryde/Hunters
Hill, Sydney
2 birds were around Sugarloaf Point at 13:00 pm and also at 18:00pm.
Fatih Sam

Wed 24 Feb      Square-tailed Kite Narrawallee/Mollymook, South Coast
A single Square-tailed Kite passed to and fro over the trees surrounding
the bowling club for 5 mins. The Narrawallee Inlet and its surrounds has
many sightings all through the summer months according to some friends
living there. I suspect a lot could be credited to the Whistling Kites
seen there at times.
Bob Rusk

        Scaly-breasted Lorikeet Hunters Hill High School
4 flying over, calling, at approx 2:50pm.
Max Breckenridge

Tue 23 Feb      Streaked Shearwater Fort Drive, Nobby's, Newcastle
Single Streaked Shearwater seen flying south amongst the hordes of
Wedgies at about 1pm today. The onshore winds have pushed the birds very
close to shore and conditions are ideal for seawatching.
Mick Roderick

Mon 22 Feb      Bar-shouldered Dove Manly Selective Campus
Found the dove outside the school office, dead on the concrete. Cause of
death was unclear (cat maybe?) but the neck was clearly exposed allowing
me to identify it as a Bar-shouldered.
Joshua Bergmark

        Powerful Owl Redbank Rd, Wauchope
A Powerful Owl was heard calling only a few km's from Wauchope at 3am
and continued calling for over an hour. The area is mostly open
farmland, but the Owl was in a narrow strip of forest adjacent to the
farms.
Matt Hinze, Henry Siems

Sun 21 Feb      Australian Brush-turkey Ben Bullen State Forest, near
Baal Bone Gap, approx 20km north of Lithgow
Location 33°17'27.80" S, 150° 5'42.20" E The bird was found dead hanging
by its foot in the fork of a tree. The observers looked for bullet holes
and other wounds but couldn't see any - presumably it got its foot
caught and got stuck and died. Brush-turkeys are expanding their range
in the Blue Mountains and this is the most westerly record that I am
aware of in recent years, in this part of NSW.
Chris Jonkers & Julie Favell (per Carol Probets)

Thu 18 Feb      Magpie Goose Cairnscross Recycling Centre, nr Port
Macquarie
5 Geese were seen in a small dam and photographed by laboratory staff
while sampling at the tip / recycling centre.
Lark Whittingham per Matt Hinze

, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/basna>  and Cumberland Bird Observers
Club <http://www.cboc.org.au/>  and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea