birding-aus

Smiths Lake mid north coast NSW

Subject: Smiths Lake mid north coast NSW
From: Susan Knowles <>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 15:39:35 +1100
We had a great time. I identified 35 species from the back deck of the house (my kind of birding). The total would have been higher if I had any ability to identify birds from calls. The highlight was a pair of Ospreys in a tree over the water near the house each eating a giant mullet (fish identified by my husband).

The area is good for doves, although we did not see any emerald doves this year. A walk behind the dunes at Cellito beach was also good, giving spangled drongo and cicada bird, always nice to see.

Without putting any effort into going to many different habitats we saw 83 species in 6 days.

Susan Knowles