birding-aus

Oriental Plovers near Price SA

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Oriental Plovers near Price SA
From: Ian May <>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 12:16:09 +1030
Hello again

This morning (18 Feb. 2010) at about 0830 hrs there were 4 Oriental Plovers in the same position as reported on the 12th Feb. One bird in nearly complete breeding plumage. Associating loosely with more than 100 Banded Plovers (Lapwings) they were harassed more than once this morning by a peregrine falcon stooping across the paddock . This made birds jumpy however it was easy to find the Oriental Plovers in flight. At about 0930 the plovers flew off in a sw direction beyond the horizon.

If contemplating a visit ( The site is in a paddock approx. 150 metres south west of Hills Rd otherwise known as Mac's Beach Rd. The position using google earth is 34 21" 450 137 58" 850.) note that typical Price weather patter at this time of year is strong afternoon sea breezes that present difficulties using optics and before 9.00 am is recommended to beat the heat haze, the wind and the flies.

Also of great interest, last Tuesday 16th Feb., Ms Teresa Jack after locating 3 Oriental Plovers here, approximately 4 hrs later made a notable discovery of 3 Little Curlew and 3 Oriental Plover at Bird Island CP. Road south of Wallaroo SA (approx. 50 km nw of Price) . Her observations were reported on birdpedia and I have cross posted them below.

Yesterday 17th Feb. several observers including myself met Teresa at the Wallaroo site and were lucky enough to see the 3 Little Curlews. They allowed close views and appeared settled.

After observing the Little Curlews, Pat and I returned to Price via Cape Elizabeth where we observed 25 Sanderling and 4 Hooded Plover.

At present both the weather and the birds are hot here on Yorke Peninsula SA

Regards

Ian May
St Helens, Tasmania
currently at Price SA
0428337956
(08)88376212

16/02/2010 Birdpedia recording; Teresa Jack's observations of Oriental Plovers near Price

NOTE: THIS IS AN AUTOMATED EMAIL - DO NOT REPLY DIRECTLY TO THIS MESSAGE.*

Hello,

The following sighting has just been reported:

Area: SA