birding-aus

Birding-aus regular finds his 15 minutes of fame

To: Paul Dodd <>
Subject: Birding-aus regular finds his 15 minutes of fame
From: Alan McBride <>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:00:37 +1100
Great work Paul & Ruth... was fun to repost on Facebook and Twitter for you
too;-)

Alan

On 16/02/2010, at 19:57 , Paul Dodd wrote:

Ha! Thanks Ross, I did mean to post this...

The funny thing is that the story does have a birding twist - Ruth and I
went to the Airey's Inlet lighthouse specifically to see and photograph the
Rufous Bristlebird. On the way out we stopped off at the loos and that's
where Ruth found the camera. I didn't think much about it until we got back
to my parents' place in Drysdale and my father had a look at it. He said
that there were about 1000 photos on it, so I took a look and realised that
this was a considerable part of a young backpacker couple's trip to
Australia. By now it was quite late in the evening, and I couldn't think of
anything else I could do, so I wrote emails to The Age, The Herald Sun, and
all the TV stations. Over the next 24 hours or so we contacted the police,
the tour company that operates around the Airey's Inlet lighthouse, the
Airey's Inlet General Store, and also placed an ad in the Bellarine Times.
The Age contacted me first thing Monday morning and said they were
interested in running a story on their online edition. By the end of the day
the story was running in all the Fairfax papers around the country.

This morning my father received a call from the police to say that the owner
of the camera had come forwards. About the same time I received a call from
someone who was visiting the lighthouse to say that NEXT to the notice I had
the tour company post, was a notice from the girl that lost the camera! He
put two and two together, called me and gave me the girl's number. I called
her and spoke to a very relieved backpacker! Apparently she had cried
constantly for two days, the poor thing.

I guess that if there's a moral to the story it is to never give up hope!

Oh, and by the way, we saw several Bristlebirds and heard another three or
four! I reckon the lighthouse is the easiest spot to see them - I find Point
Addis, the other well-known spot, to be a bit hit and miss.

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Victoria