birding-aus

Sightings Port Hedland: Ringed Plover, Flock Bronzewing, Star Finch

Subject: Sightings Port Hedland: Ringed Plover, Flock Bronzewing, Star Finch
From: Marieke Weerheim <>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 08:44:44 +0800
I am working as an Environmental Advisor on Finucane Island near Port
Hedland. I take my binoculars to work just in case something
interesting turns up. One of our work areas has a small artificial
wetland behand a big earth wall, creating a perfect resting spot for
many waders during the day, out of the wind.

Last Saturday I walked past to have another quick glance at the waders
out there when I noticed a plover that looked interesting. When I put
my binoculars on it, it turned out to be a Ringed Plover in
non-breeding plumage. I had a long time to look at it and had good
views. It had a clear ring around its neck, orangy-brown leggs,
orangy-brown beak (not clear orange as in breeding but unmistakably
not brown) and a pale ring around its eye of a colour I could not make
out because of the bright sunlight. It was surrounded by Red-necked
Stints, and was clearly bigger than the stints.

I had the Slater with me and the bird was a perfect match to the
non-breeding Ringed Plover in there so I'm pretty confident that's
what it was.

I am staying at the Walkabout Hotel in Port Hedland opposite the
airport. The hotel has series of small sewage ponds where all the
eflluent from the hotel and the adjacent caravan park goes. It is
always full of water and full of birds. Two of the more interesting
species visiting the sewage ponds are Star Finches (flock of four on
two occasions) and a family of Flock Bronzewings visiting nearly every
day: Male, Female, Juvenile.

I have only just arrived in Port Hedland and am interested to hear if
there are any other birders around to give me some advice on what
spots to go to. Am pretty happy with the things I've seen so far
though!

Marieke Weerheim