birding-aus

South Australia RFI

Subject: South Australia RFI
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 19:12:27 EST

Hello,
I’m an American birder who is planning a birding trip  to Australia in
October/November this  year.  I’ll be traveling alone in a  rental car.  I start
in Sydney, go up to Newcastle,  then west and south through central NSW,
and then across northern Victoria to South Australia.  I plan to spend 11
nights in South Australia, and I am  trying to firm up that part of my itinerary
now.  My current tentative plan is as  follows:
30 - 31 October   Waikerie.  I hope to be able to schedule a tour to
Gluepot on Sunday, 31 October.
1 - 2 November.  Travel to Wilpena (Flinders Range NP) on  1 November and
stay two nights.
3 November.  Port Augusta for one night, mainly to see  the Arid  Lands
Botanic  Garden.
4 - 6 November.  Stay somewhere in north Adelaide for three nights,  and
visit coastal sites and Adelaide Hills sites on those three days, after
driving from Port Augusta on the 4th.
7 - 8 November.  Drive to Cape Jervis  and take ferry to Kangaroo Island on
Sunday, 7 November, staying for  two nights.
9 November.  Take ferry off of KI and drive to Policeman Point, birding
enroute.
>From there, I plan to head for Melbourne, via the  Great Ocean  Road.
This plan is a compromise between seeing as much as  possible and yet
allowing sufficient time to see each place adequately.  I would appreciate any
comments or  suggestions and don’t hesitate to be critical  I am looking for
local knowledge and  opinion.  I’m not an especially  accomplished birder,
but I am keen to see new places and birds, and this will be  my first visit to
South  Australia.  Seeing the new places is almost as important to me as
seeing a high  number of species of birds.  I  considered going north from the
Flinders Range and/or visiting Yorke Peninsula, but I decided that I just
don’t have time  to see everything.
I have some specific questions,  too.
What places should I stop to look for birds between  Waikerie and Wilpena?
Where should I stop to bird between Port Augusta and  north Adelaide?
Is north Adelaide the best place to stay, given my time  constraints and my
desire to see the coastal areas and the Adelaide Hills  birding sites?
What about access to Penrice Saltfields?  Can anyone help me with  that?
Given just one full day on Kangaroo Island, which birding sites should I
visit?
Is it practical to get off of Kangaroo Island and drive to Policeman Point,
all  in one day?
Is anyone aware of any problems with taking a rental  car to Kangaroo
Island?
Any other advice much appreciated as well.  Naturally, if anyone is
interested in  birding with an American, I would be very pleased to pay for
petrol,
lunch,  etc.
Thanks very much.
Barry Brugman