birding-aus

Lyrebird learns rooster call

To: <>, "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: Lyrebird learns rooster call
From: "Paul Dodd" <>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 14:52:27 +1100
Around 35 years ago some family friends gave me a reel-to-reel tape (!) that
they'd made of a Lyrebird that they had seen at Sherbrooke Forest. The tape
included mimicry of all the usual wet rainforest suspects, but many other
sounds including camera shutters, a chainsaw and several other mechanical
sounds that we never could identify - possibly car doors being closed.

I have no doubt that wild lyrebirds are more than capable of picking up
these sounds and mimicking them. I suspect that the main difference with a
captive bird is that the captive one will pick the sounds up faster.

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Victoria