birding-aus

British Sea Power play for BirdLife International

To: <>
Subject: British Sea Power play for BirdLife International
From: Simon Mustoe <>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 11:43:42 +0000
Lol...birding aussies, sometimes you do make me laugh. The responses so far
have suggested this is off topic, not relevant to birding and not obviously
connected to the natural environment. Here's a post from last year by BirdLife
International (the secratariat of a group to whom Birds Australia is a member):

"Last night British Sea
Power - a band nominated for the 2008 Mercury Prize for the best album
from the United Kingdom or Ireland – enthralled fans by playing a
unique composition inspired by migratory birds at the British Film
Institute (BFI), London. “BirdLife are delighted that British Sea Power
are supporting our Born to Travel campaign”, said Ade Long - BirdLife’s
head of Communications - as he introduced the band on stage."

http://www.birdlife.org/news/news/2009/04/british_sea_power.html

...and an article in the Guardian last year "Happy indeed was the time the
band's Do You Like Rock Music? album got a
rave review in the RSPB magazine. With the RSPB membership exceeding a
million, their mag easily out-circulates any UK music title."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/mar/13/elbow-doves-birdwatching-pop-music

Regards,

Simon.

PS - let's be honest ... Fleetwood Mac ... they were never infamously
conservationists and birders : ). Though it turns out that two bands I saw last
year in Melbourne (Elbow
and Doves) both have frontmen who are also ornithologists. How much further can
birding invade the psyche of contemporary artists than through rock music.
Australia, we've a lot left to learn!