birding-aus

Moores Beach

To: <>
Subject: Moores Beach
From: "Tom Sjolund" <>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 18:25:49 +1000
Hi All,

Been following posts re: Trevor's post on Mores Beach.  First time to post
here not sure how it all works.

I'm concerned with development proposal for Lot 21 Great Keppel Island,
currently a Rec. Reserve.  Tower Holdings bought the Resort there back in
2007 and after6months closed it down putting 110 people out of work and
making it very difficult for the small businesses to make a living - not
enough people visiting the island as everyone got the idea that it was
closed.

Lot 21 has several pairs of Beach Stone Curlews, under the first 2 proposals
which have been rejected their habitat would have been destroyed.  The Beach
Stone Curlew is classified a "Vulnerable"   because of habitat destruction
that's why in part lot 21 is important.

I sent the following to Trevor:

Hi Trevor,

I know what you are going through, you may be aware that Tower Holdings are
trying to develop Lot21 on Great Keppel Island.  We have managed to stop
their first 2 proposals they are now working on their 3rd proposal.

My wife and I spent a couple of weeks this time last year around the
Bundaberg - Woodgate area and were astonished at the rate of development
down that way.  You may know of Allan Briggs - Birds Capricornia, he along
with Alison Jones Pres. Capricorn Conservation Council put together a great
EPBC response to Tower Holdings proposal which I believe was major
contributing factor in Peter Garrett's decision to reject the project.

We now have a Facebook site "don't destroy great Keppel island" with over
2000 members, a worthwhile exercise to gather public support.

If your group needs any help please let me know.

More info on www.gkiresort-not.com

Cheers,

Tom Sjolund

Manager