birding-aus

Re: Re: [Birding-Aus] a conservation win

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Re: Re: [Birding-Aus] a conservation win
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 00:38:35 +0000
At the highest level setting a sustainable level for human population and human consumption is the challenge.

This would be allowed a human existence of hundreds of thousands of years, if not millions, allowing thousands of successive generations of people to live in the highest quality environment, where contact with 'nature' is an everyday occurrence, and doesn't just occur at the weekends in theme parks.

That, I take it is, the Green ideal: humans-in-nature, nature-with-humans.

Against this you have to set the capitalist ideal of as many people and as much consumption as possible in the shortest possible time, which will inevitably lead to ecological collapse and a rather short history for humanity.

The green ideal is the one which will allow the greater number of individuals to live in total, in the long run, and with a higher quality of life.

As I have been typing this, my partner spotted a Wedge-tailed Eagle soaring over the house, the first time we have seen one here in 16 years. Omen or what?

:-)

John Leonard

David,

Your rant is well justified.

Perhaps you could help me out. I have been asking many people to define 'sustainable' even at conferences with sustainability as a theme. I know that language changes but ....

Regards,

Alan

unsubscribe (in the body of the message, with no Subject line)

unsubscribe(in the body of the message, with no Subject line)