birding-aus

Birding The Green Centre

Subject: Birding The Green Centre
From: Christopher Watson <>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 22:16:52 +0930
G'day All,

Just an update from The Centre - red no more. The grass blankets everything
now and the waterholes are all chock-a-block.

I've managed to get around just about everywhere this week - Kunoth Bore,
Yowa Bore, Uluru, King's Canyon, Ilparpa, John Haye's, Boggy Hole and
Running Waters, Wigley's, and of course the Poo Ponds. I've been getting
good numbers of a lot of good birds. Pied Honeyeaters are in abundance
through the Western Macs and down at The Rock - also Crimson Chats
everywhere. There are more Masked Woodswallows about than I can ever
remember as well.

Kunoth Bore is full to the brim and I found Black Honeyeater out there
without any difficulty at all along with a few Grey Teal. The elusive Grey
Honeyeater was found without trying (I saw a pair) and plenty of Brown
Honeyeaters.

The Ilparpa swamps have more grass than I've ever seen and I had Brown Quail
and Little Button-quail flushing left right and centre as I drove through.
Many Kingfishers about both Red-backed and Sacred, huge flocks of Cockatiel
and Budgies and some flocks of Mulga Parrots up to 20 strong. Had good views
of two Bourke's Parrots at Wigley's Waterhole on the north edge of town.

The excitement isn't over yet as the rain is still falling in dribs and
drabs with more forecast for the coming week.

I'm leaving tomorrow for an 8 day trip down the Oodnadatta Track and the
Flinders Ranges to Adelaide so I'll put up a full report when I return as it
should be an interesting time down that way.

Anyone who needs arid zone birds - looks like this is the season to do it.
The Red (Green) Centre is birding paradise at the moment.

Chris Watson
Alice Springs