birding-aus

Jervis Bay, NSW - E. Bristlebird abundant!, no sign (just sound) of Grou

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Jervis Bay, NSW - E. Bristlebird abundant!, no sign (just sound) of Ground Parrot
From: Charles Hunter <>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 02:08:15 -0800 (PST)
Hi all,

A late report for 27th December - 3rd January for Jervis Bay (Hyams Beach and
Booderee N.P.).

The most common bird I saw (or heard) during several days with a few hours
birding most days was Eastern Bristlebird. I saw no less than 25 birds at
various locations and heard about the same again. Most showing very well even
bordering tame!

I covered much heath in both Jervis Bay N.P. and surrounding reserves and also
Booderee N.P. in search of my target species Ground Parrot, to no avail (a
major dip for me as I have had dozens of trips to Cooloola QLD, Barren Grounds
NSW and what I thought another strong-hold Jervis Bay and never seen
one......the joy of birding I guess).

Staying at a house on Booderee Avenue, Hyams Beach that backed onto Jervis Bay
N.P, I heard a Ground Parrot at dawn (I was still in bed) on my first morning
there. I woke my wife in excitement, she wasn't impressed. This was as close as
I got the whole week.

Other birds seen:

Common Koel
Brush Bronzewing