birding-aus

Far North QLD trip

Subject: Far North QLD trip
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 04:22:40 -0800 (PST)
Happy New Year,

This week we came back from a 2-week-trip to the Cairns area and to Iron Range.
Cairns - Michaelmas Cay - Kuranda - Julatten - Yungaburra - Cairns - Lockhart
River - Cairns.
We had 242 bird species this year (compared to December 2008 in the
Cairns/Townsville area only: 248 species - total for both trips combined: 285
bird species)
27 mammal species this year (combined with last year: 35)
29 reptile species (combined with last year: 32)
12 amphibian species (combined with last year: 14)
18 butterfly species

In the Cairns area we focused on high altitude mammals (Striped, Daintree
River, Herbert River, Lemuroid Ringtail Possum) rather than birds (and
consequently dipped on some birds again - e.g. Little Kingfisher, Beach
Stone-Curlew, Laughing Gull), but saw some nice "old friends": e.g. Golden
Bowerbird, Lesser Sooty Owl.
In Iron Range we tried so see all the "specialty" bird species and saw all of
them, but dipped on some "less special" ones (e.g. Rufous Owl, Little
Kingfisher, Bech Stone-Curlew). Some birds such as Northern Scrub Robin and
Marbled Frogmouth were surprisingly easy and we got them several times on
different spots. A bit tricky was YB Kingfisher which we heard almost
everywhere, but which only showed once. BTW to my ears their calls are totally
different from Chestnut-breasted Cuckoo which we heard about as often. The
Cuckoo sounds more like a Fantail Cuckoo, the Kingfisher's short call sounds
more like that of an Ash-throated Flycatcher (in America), the Kingfisher's
long call is unique and unmistakable. We saw Trumpet Manucode only twice and
heard it five or six times. There were still 9 actively calling RB Pittas, one
of which showed well. In addition to the known FB Bowerbird we found a "new"
one right at Lockhart River Airport. The only bird we only
 saw fly by were Marshall's Fig-parrots. Herps were great. Three species of
python, three species of monitors, Frilled Lizard, Boyd's Forest Dragon (the
latter not in Iron Range)... lots of Litorias and other frogs. The amphibian
downside was that we saw 12 species and not 11 - but there was no way to
overlook No. 12: Cane Toad.
Mammals: great in the Atherton Tableland, but in Iron Range we had our big dip
of the trip: we did not only dip on Gray Cuscus, but also on Spotted! Can't
believe it! This is the excuse to come back! We heard flapping sounds at night
which we believe might have been hovering Bare-backed Fruitbats.

Cheers,

Nikolas

Southern Cassowary
Australian Brush-turkey