birding-aus

The Future of Eremophila Park - South Australia

To: <>, "'Birdpedia - Australia Admin'" <>
Subject: The Future of Eremophila Park - South Australia
From: "Steve Potter" <>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 20:25:12 +1030
Dear friends,

As was reported earlier by Peter Waanders, Stella Mack of Eremophila Park
fame passes away on December 13, 2009.
The property is now in the hands of her son Joe. I spoke to Joe yesterday
and he assures us that the facility will remain open as per Stella's wishes.

His contact number is 0418 806 804. It is best to ring him before 3pm.

For those who are unfamiliar with this site, it is a small patch of Mallee
scrub some 15km east of Waikerie, SA. The facility has sleeping for 6-8
Running water, toilets and a HUGE bath. Hot water is available from the wood
heater. It also has an awesome fire pit for bon fires in the cooler months.
The facility is available for rent at $40 per night for 6 people, and a $5
charge per person for extras. Camping is also permitted.

Eremophila Park was set aside from the farmland clearing as a reserve
particularly for nesting Malleefowl. Here many people from all over the
world have come to see these wonderful creatures. David Attenborough did a
special report using one of the active nest sites in the early 90's. It was
also featured in Sean Dooley "Big Twitch". Many local South Australians come
here for family holidays as well.

I have no commercial interest in this property. I would just like to see
it's continued use. I saw my first Malleefowl here, working an active mound.
Also my first Gilberts Whistler, Hooded Robin and Cockatiel among many
others. Both my kids learned to ride bikes here and had their first driving
lesson in the nearby paddock. Eremophila is a special place and Stella will
be sorely missed.

I am happy to answer any questions about this place.

Cheers

Steve Potter
m: 0407 398 234
e: