birding-aus

Regent Honeyeater - Nurragingy Reserve, Doonside NSW

To: Tom and Mandy Wilson <>
Subject: Regent Honeyeater - Nurragingy Reserve, Doonside NSW
From: Chris Gregory <>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 12:42:03 +1100
Hi Tom

Good to see the Regent is still around as I know of a couple of people
heading out to look for it over the weekend. Also the list of other birds
sighted seems to be growing. A small point but I forgot to mention I also
photographed a Grey-whiskered Bulbul, which I have now added to the photos.
http://picasaweb.google.com/cgregory123/NurragingyReserveSydney#.

Interesting you mention the banding on the Brown Honeyeater, which also
shows up on my photo. I noticed it at the time but I was more interested in
looking for coloured bands on the Regent but I saw none. The Brown HE also
interested me because, whilst a common HE, Pizzey puts its southern range
limit as Cronulla - P. Hacking. So the bird was very close to the edge of
its range.  I know about the Regent HE banding project but who is banding a
common HE with ( I assume) a metal band. It's nearly impossible to ID any
band markings on a live bird in the field and the chances of coming across a
dead bird are almost zero.

So who is banding Brown HE's? Just as there is currently an excellent debate
about national databases - the flip side to this debate is you would think
there might be a national database for reporting banding sightings and its
whereabouts would be regularly promoted on birding sites like Birding-Aus.
Perhaps there is and I don't know about it. After all I am a bloke who until
recently thought WTNTs were just a peculiar obsession of this site and
Eremaea was a skin disease.

Anyway let me know if you get a reply as I do have other photos of the band
which might, with a bit of manipulation, reveal more detail if I know what
I'm looking for.

Chris Gregory