birding-aus

halls creek - broome and cyclone related weather

To: birding aus <>
Subject: halls creek - broome and cyclone related weather
From: Gary Wright <>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 23:55:37 +1030
Drove back yesterday and between Hall's creek and fitzroy crossing every
bridge and culvert was smothered in fairy martins, yet when I drove down on
Monday I don't recall seeing any, bar a couple in grounds of hotel in
Hall;'s creek.  It had been raining on and off for a couple of days by the
time I drove back. In two spots there were fork tailed swifts not many, but
a striking bird.  This was my best view of them and the length and curve of
the wings as they glide past is outstanding.

Between Willare roadhouse and Broome there was a patch with hundreds of
australian pratincoles hawking for insects above the trees.

This morning in the street outside my flat there were 30 or so barn swallows
hawking low to the ground for insects.   Once the rain stops I will get out
and have a look and see if this weather has brought anything in to shore.  I
am hoping for a greater frigatebird or masked  Booby-no harm in wishing and
hoping and as we all know you don't see them sitting in your lounge room!

Gary