birding-aus

pictorella mannikin halls creek WA

To: Bill Stent <>, birding aus <>
Subject: pictorella mannikin halls creek WA
From: Gary Wright <>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 21:44:43 +1030
Hi Bill

Yes the move to Broome for work in a job where I cover the major towns of
the Kimberley   has been a bonus.  I   worked in Alice before this for two
years and before I went there I had three possible new birds( grey
honeyeater, slaty backed thornbill and rufous crowned emuwren)  and it took
me almost two years to get them!  The real snag as you can imagine was the
grey honeyeater, which I saw once briefly at Olive Pink botanic gardens.
Although  with the rufous crowned emu wren there was near disaster as I got
carried away looking at them and forgot about our kelpie( my wife's kelpie
of fifteen years duration at the time) who wasn't where I had left her when
I got onto the birds.   A very anxious half an hour before we bumped into
each other again.

I am not sure how many new birds I have seen since moving to Broome but up
to 10, but not only that, I have seen many birds that I had only seen once
or twice before.  As Frank   O'Connor says on his website Broome and
Kununurra are great birding spots.

All I can say Bill, if you want to leave the ferals behind, leave the city!

Gary