birding-aus

How many field guides...

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: How many field guides...
From: "Arwen B. Ximenes" <>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 20:37:11 +1100
Hello all,

Sorry for the late post.

Regarding collection of Field Guides...it just so happens that I am the proud
new owner of a Field Guide to the Birds of Brazil (Ber van Perlo) - published
October, 2009, so to the person who was interested to know about new guides,
this is pretty hot off the press.

Firstly, this guide covers over 1800 birds - no mean feat. Is that about 20% of
the birds on the planet or are my figures out?? Unfortunately, however, I don't
think it means you only need another 4 guides to cover them all...

Anyway, secondly, though it's not a secondhand copy, it was relatively cheap (I
paid about $40 incl. shipping) through a site from which secondhand books can
also be purchased very cheaply (I got Don Kroodsma's Singing Life of Birds for
$1 - it was the shipping cost from the US that blew the budget). Anyway, for
those who are after a Brazilian guide, I believe this is the most recent one,
though apparently there is another coming out "soon", but don't hold your
breath.

cheers,

Arwen

Arwen Blackwood Ximenes