birding-aus

Backyard birdfeeders driving avian evolution

To: "'Peter Shute'" <>, <>, <>
Subject: Backyard birdfeeders driving avian evolution
From: "Andrew Bell" <>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 19:00:00 +0930
Hi all

Some more thoughts on a very intriguing subject, it was an interesting
article.

Google: evolution rapid finches

There are many examples of such minor changes in bird populations being
cited as evidence for observable evolution, including melanotic urban rock
doves.  Darwin hypothesised that the development of all  species was due to
the gradual accumulation of just such minor variations over very long
periods of time. He also investigated at length the inheritance of variation
in domestic animals including dogs. He didn't have any knowledge though of
how novel variations appeared. He would have revelled I think in modern
genetics - rearrangement of genes, mutation of DNA and pondering of the
possible role of all that "junk" in controlling and changing gene
expression.

"Species" is of course an arbitrary division of a continuous, if mostly
extinct, chain of variation, with more than one definition to choose from -
the old one of genetic isolation certainly doesn't work very well, many
"species" hybridize and produce fertile offspring. In the example discussed
it is entirely reasonable to suppose we are seeing the first discernable
link in this chain  - we're just not going to be around nearly long enough
to observe separation into "species". If we had observed this process in
warblers, would we yet recognise as speciated the Willow Warbler and the
Chiff Chaff, of for that matter the Northern,  Mangrove and Grey fantails?

The recent ABC Catalyst on Gouldian's certainly set me thinking. It
discussed the strong tendency of Red heads to select Red heads as mates with
subsequent increased breeding success. The explanation offered was of
previous geographical isolation and merging of diverged populations when the
climate changed. It certainly suggests early speciation and raises the
possibility of continued now sympatric speciation within actual flocks. Who
knows, if they survive another million years of climate change there might
be an additional "tick" to wait for.

Cheers

Andrew Bell