birding-aus

Re: Koels Carrying on in SEQ

Subject: Re: Koels Carrying on in SEQ
From: Ivor Preston <>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 07:52:31 +1000
Laurie,

I had a similar experience with Koels last week (3/12 at 5.45am) in Townsville.
The Koels were quite close together in a large Rain Tree and the female had
what looked like an offering in her bill. The male was stationary and the
female hopped around him about 1 metre away. The whole time this was going on,
Fifgirds, White-gaped and Brown Honeyeaters were flying at both birds. The
Koels seemed oblivious of the other birds and of me standing below (normally
the female is off at the first sighting of an observer). Their concentration
seemed to indicate a breeding event coming on, but unfortunately I didn't see
it. Like you, this is the first time I have seen this behaviour in 16 years
living amongst them here.
Cheers
Ivor