birding-aus

FW: EDEN PELAGIC REPORT 28th/29th November 2009.

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: FW: EDEN PELAGIC REPORT 28th/29th November 2009.
From: "Marlene Lyell" <>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 21:17:01 +1100

Hi All,

   Here?s a trip report for a 2 day pelagic out of Eden over the weekend of
the 28th/29th November 2009

.

Saturday 28th November.  Left port at 8am: returned around 3.45pm.

Swell of 1½ - 2½  .

Water temperature at the shelf was 21.5C

Green patches around 19.8C

Another great trip with the air temperature around the 30 degrees mark on
the Saturday, making for a very pleasant warm day and allowing us to get out
to the shelf.

On board:  Ray Turnbull, Bob & Sadhana Cook, Lyle Harding & Mel, Paul Dodd,
Ruth Woodrow, Max Sutcliffe

Roy Bryant, Roger McGlashen, Brook Whylie, Marlene Lyell.  Skipper Richard
Buckingham, decky Manfred Noether.

Birds seen Saturday.

Little Penguin

Great-winged Petrel

Providence Petrel

White-chinned Petrel

Wedge-tailed Shearwater

Short-tailed Shearwater

Flesh-footed Shearwater

Fluttering Shearwater

Sooty Shearwater

Wandering Albatross (10-15 in various stages of plumage. All out at the
shelf.)

Black-browed Albatross (including Campbell?s)

Shy Albatross

Wilson?s Storm-Petrel

White-faced Storm-Petrel

Australasian Gannet

Pomarine Jaeger

Crested Tern

Silver Gull

Pacific Gull

4 Cormorant sp. (no Pied Cormorant)

White-breasted Sea-Eagle near the coast.

An interesting addition were White-throated Needletails ahead of an
approaching front.

SUNDAY 29TH November  Left at 8am returning around 4pm.

This morning the temperature had dropped considerably and it wasn?t looking
good for getting out to the shelf.

At 53 fathoms the wind turned SSE 15-25 knots and we headed over towards
Green Cape.

Water temperature 19.5 degrees

On board:  Mike Brasher, Beverley Croft, Pat Kean, Eric Andrew, Charles (?)
Roger & Linley McGlashen, Linda Damoulakis and her sister Bronwyn, Brooke
Wylie, Marlene Lyell.  Skipper Richard, decky Manfred.

Little did we know the excitement that we were to experience today

Because we didn?t get out to the shelf, there were no Wandering Albatross
but birds seen were:

.

Little Penguin

Cape Petrel,

Giant ?Petrel (sp unknown)

Great-winged Petrel

BLACK-WINGED PETREL

Fluttering Shearwater

Hutton?s Shearwater

Short-tailed Shearwater

Wedge-tailed Shearwater,

Shy Albatross

Black-0browed Albatross (including Campbell?s)

Juv. Yellow-nosed Albatross (1)

It was while we were surrounded by Short-tailed Shearwaters that a cry went
up ?what?s that bird with white on it?  and although it wasn?t  close to the
boat  a couple of cameras were working furiously while the bird was in
sight.  After checking the images and consulting the guides, we came to the
conclusion that it was a BLACK-WINGED PETREL.  But we wanted it verified as
it would have been a first for an Eden pelagic although one had been
reported off shore at Green Cape a number of years ago and reputedly the
National Parks had obtained a beach-washed bird some years previous.  Great
excitement at the possibility.

Other birds for the day included:

Australasian Gannet

2 Gulls sp.

Caspian Tern

Crested Tern

Great Cormorant

Lt. Black Cormorant

Black-faced Cormorant

Little Pied

White-breasted Sea-Eagle

Sooty Oystercatcher

On both days Australian Fur Seals and numerous Common Dolphins.

Also possible False Killer Whales.

A SPECIAL THANKS TO Mike Carter for identifying/confirming the Black-winged
Petrel for me.

And also a special thanks to Helen & Richard for the delicious hot muffins
served straight from the oven with tea or coffee?how good is that.

If anyone is interested in doing a pelagic from Eden the contact address is:

http://www.freedomcharters.com.au/contact_us.html

Happy birding all

Marlene.