birding-aus

Georgetown

Subject: Georgetown
From: Phil Gregory <>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 11:40:00 +1000
Two nights in Georgetown Nov 27 and 28, very hot and dry with little surface water, Cumberland Dam being really low and other farm dams similarly at a very low level.
Notable sightings were:

Emu- a male and 3 chicks by Mt. Surprise and a male with one chick near Georgetown.
Brolga 3 at Latara Resort and 2 at Cumberland Dam.
Australian Pratincole 3 at Cumberland Dam.
Varied Lorikeet- 30+ in small flocks at the toxic waste dam at Cumberland, my first record from the Georgetown area. No sign of any Budgerigars or Cockatiel though, two species which are pretty regular here. Squatter Pigeon - we saw about 70 on one day, with 26 at the toxic waste dam and 26 in the Goldfields caravan park, very much in evidence, although we found no Common Bronzewings at a regular site. White-throated Gerygone Cumberland Dam, no sign of any Western Gerygone this trip. Yellow-tinted Honeyeater very scarce, a single at Cumberland and 2 at Durham Dam.
Red-throated Honeyeater common.
Variegated Fairywren Durham Dam
Red-backed Fairywren same
Paperbark Flycatcher 3 at Cumberland Dam.
Grey-crowned Babbler very few.
Apostlebird abundant
Black-throated Finch- 8 at the toxic waste dam and about 10 at Durham Dam. Whilst on this species I omitted to mention we had 8 at Marina Plains homestead on Cape York on the Lotusbird Lodge trip.
Masked Finch- 2 by the racetrack and 6 at Durham Dam.
Zebra Finch hardly any, a couple at Durham Dam was it.

Phil & Sue Gregory
tour organizers/ bird guide/ ornithological writer
Sicklebill Safaris / Cassowary House
Http://www.sicklebillsafaris.com
Http://www.cassowary-house.com.au
Ph: +61740937318