birding-aus

Abrolhos and Central Western Australia Trip Report - Hutton's Shearwater

To: "Peter Marsh" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Abrolhos and Central Western Australia Trip Report - Hutton's Shearwaters
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:37:37 +1100
In the very interesting posting by Peter Marsh about his recent WA trip with friends, which included a visit to the Abrolhos,

"Peter Marsh" <> on Thursday, November 19, 2009 5:20 PM

said, 'The trip out to Pelsaert Island started quietly with a Flesh Footed Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-petrel and a Sooty Tern being the only birds seen until we were very close to the island. In the afternoon we rejoined the boat and motored around to the more protected Western side of the Island to moor for the night.We passed a mixed flock of Wedge-tailed and Flesh-footed Shearwaters and a small number of HUTTONS SHEARWATER. This last sighting was interesting as Hutton's is not listed in the Abrolhos bird lists that I have seen.

That is disappointing. They also weren't listed when I first went there in August 1991 so I informed the 'authorities' that I saw c.100 on that visit. I know they have been seen since and one would have hoped that it would not take 18+ years for the message to sink in!.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mount Eliza  VIC 3930
Tel  (03) 9787 7136