birding-aus

Feral peafowl

To: "" <>, "" <>, "" <>
Subject: Feral peafowl
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 06:15:35 +1100
Are you saying that ticking discourages a negative attitude to these species,
and that has some bearing on how much pressure there is to eliminate them?

Could be true, but I often read of people's concerns about it here. Chris
Baxter, to whom Rosemary replied, was pretty clear he wants Peafowl off
Kangaroo Island.

Are you suggesting people refuse to tick any exotic species?  That might have
the side effect of people not recording them either, then we'd have no idea
where these populations are at all.  I agree the birding community could push
harder on this issue, but I think the real obstacle is "bird lovers" who feed
and encourage them, and object to any culling.

Peter Shute

Sent using BlackBerry