birding-aus

Feral peafowl

To: "'Rosemary Royle'" <>, "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: Feral peafowl
From: "Jeff Davies" <>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 01:06:27 +1100
G'day Rosemary,

This is one post too many for me, nothing to do with you personally though
as I am absolutely certain your heart is in the right place when it comes to
birds and birding. I have been observing this issue of ticking exotics for a
while now and can't stay silent any longer. I feel that allowing any self
sustaining population of alien species a foothold is playing with fire.
Is there also a committee to watch these populations for signs of success at
adapting to  their exotic location and determining when it's too risky to
leave them there. Note that it may take decades for them to adapt till
breakout point, that's a long time to keep watching without losing interest.
In my opinion relevant Government Departments are somewhat lacking when it
comes to this issue, not through lack of understanding of the situation and
good intent but lack of resources. It costs a lot of money and effort to
remove a species when the decision is made which is probably why the
decision never happens. Birding groups that care about their endemic species
should be red hot on this issue and lobby furiously for action in the early
stages, not rejoice in an extra tick, how revolting.
Sorry, I had to say something here, you caught me at a bad moment, we
already have Barbary Doves in Adelaide learning how to be wild birds and
Laughing Doves in Perth continuing to extend their distribution, etc etc,
and now it seems Peafowl at various locations, and you did qualify your
email with " However, you will be pleased to know that this does not really
reduce the levels of discussion and controversy at all !!" How many exotic
species can a country contain before we decide it's too many. Hawaii and New
Zealand spring to mind.
I'm happy to be controversial in this instance and state that giving these
exotic populations a reason to be there is not a good thing. Mainly because
I haven't read a single post in the negative, so here it is. I look forward
to all of the contrary mail this post will generate.

Cheers Jeff.