birding-aus

On vernacular bird names

To: "Chris Healey" <>, <>
Subject: On vernacular bird names
From: "John & Ruth Walter" <>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 14:51:50 +1000
Hi Chris and others,

I have a CSIRO (Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization ) Publication "An Index of Australian Bird Names" Compiled by the CSIRO Division of Wildlife Research in 1969. Technical Paper No. 20.

For anyone interested in vernacular names for Australian birds it is a useful and interesting booklet. While it is not designed to cover 100% of local names it is still fairly comprehensive. It is also interesting to go through the list, which follows the old RAOU 1926 Checklist to see some of the English name changes from the list to present day names. Jabiru was of course Jabiru at that time - one of the other alternative names was Policeman Bird, along with Black-necked Stork. Someone mentioned Butter-bum for Yellow-rumped Thornbill in a previous post - the other names listed in this booklet are Chigaree, Leigh's tit, pallid tit, tomtit, yellow-rumped tit, yellow-rumped tit-warbler, yellow-tail, yellow-tailed thornbill, yellow-tailed tit. And so it goes on.

I don't suppose the booklet is still in print, but a quick call to CSIRO Publications 1300 788 000 or may get a favourable result- otherwise it is probably only long time bird watchers like me who would have a copy.

Cheers John Walter
Pittsworth SEQ