birding-aus

Roebuck Plains Station, Broome

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Roebuck Plains Station, Broome
From: Gary Wright <>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 17:55:13 +1030
Julie and I went to Roebuck Plains Station with Adrian Boyle today and had a
great day birding around the wetlands.New birds for me were long toed stint,
oriental pratincole, possible swinhoe's snipe and Oriental Plover.  I
thought I had previously seen Oriental plover but as soon as Adrian showed
us these out on the plains I realised that I hadn't seen this bird before.
 A  couple of them were standing on cow pats and were a beautiful long
legged wader with soft plumage.   The birds we saw had white to light
colouration going up  back of neck.  They were a fine and a delicate bird.

The other real highlight for me was seeing snipe feeding and going about
their business.  When I have seen snipe previously, they have flushed and
flown to buggery!

Other birds of note were green pygmy geese, australian pratincole,glossy
ibis, yellow wagtail, black falcon, many Brolga and yellow chat(seen in poor
light).  The common waders for the day were sharp tailed sandpiper, wood
sandpiper, marsh sandpiper, greenshank, little curlew, black winged stilt.

Really enjoyed seeing the australian pratincole, slender, richly coloured
bird, no tail to speak of and long backswept wings.
I don't really have anything much left on my Broome hit list, only silly
things like grass owl.  I am going to Derby on 30/11/09 and I am hoping for
Koel and chestnut rail but both are long shots, but as the ad said, you''ll
never never know,  if you never, never go!
It was a bit sobering to realise I had convinced myself  I had seen a
oriental plover when I hadn't!
Gary